Discuss two pin 16av to three-pin uk plug in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

AoifeB

DIY
Reaction score
I have a treadmill with a two-pin EU plug and 16Av but my house needs an Ireland 3 pin plug, is it safe to get an adapter and voltage converter, if so where could I source that? I have only ever used appliances with 13Av in my house before so I am unsure if it is safe, advice much appreciated, thanks

I have a treadmill with a two-pin EU plug and 16Av but my house needs an Ireland 3 pin plug, is it safe to get an adapter and voltage converter, if so where could I source that? I have only ever used appliances with 13Av in my house before so I am unsure if it is safe, advice much appreciated, thanks
What Voltage is the treadmill rated at?

You say voltage adaptor, if this an EU unit it should be 230v you need to check the specification of the treadmill to see what voltage it runs on, you also need to know which MCB (fuse) in your CU (Consumer Unit) the socket you are going to plug into supplies that socket run, a picture of the spec plate on the treadmill and a picture of your CU would help.

It probably just needs a high quality "travel adaptor", but as above, check the rating in the manual or name plate on the machine to verify it is for 230V and not more than 13A.

You say voltage adaptor, if this an EU unit it should be 230v you need to check the specification of the treadmill to see what voltage it runs on, you also need to know which MCB (fuse) in your CU (Consumer Unit) the socket you are going to plug into supplies that socket run, a picture of the spec plate on the treadmill and a picture of your CU would help.
Thanks! Here is a picture of the fuse box and treadmill plug, the plug says 16A 250v

Attachments

• two pin 16av to three-pin uk plug WhatsApp Image 2021-04-09 at 14.46.03 - EletriciansForums.net
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-09 at 14.46.03.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 23
  • two pin 16av to three-pin uk plug WhatsApp Image 2021-04-09 at 14.40.41 - EletriciansForums.net
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-09 at 14.40.41.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 23
Can't tell which MCB supplies your socket circuit from that picture, why is one of the MCB's taped over?

The plug from your treadmill is three way as the hole at the top is an earth connection, need to see the specification of the treadmill and know which one of the MCB's supplies your sockets?

To be honest that CU looks long past its sell by date, I would hesitate to plug anything into it.

That is a rough looking board!

The plugs always say 16A, that is thier rating, but the equipment can (and often is) much less. Have you got a manual for it?
yes, the board has been around a long time :) I have a manual here which says 220-240v and on another page, it says to ensure it is in a grounded socket but I do not know what that would mean, thanks

Attachments

• two pin 16av to three-pin uk plug WhatsApp Image 2021-04-09 at 14.56.47 - EletriciansForums.net
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-09 at 14.56.47.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 18
  • two pin 16av to three-pin uk plug WhatsApp Image 2021-04-09 at 14.56.39 - EletriciansForums.net
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-09 at 14.56.39.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 18
Mike's summary is good advice. There are many sub-standard adaptors on sale that are dangerous either through having no fuse, no earthing or inadequately shielded contacts. You should choose one from a reputable UK / IE brand, equipped with both a fuse and an earth (aka ground) contact. This can be either two metal springs that grip the metal contacts along the side or a pin projecting from the front that enters the contact in the front of your plug. A proper adaptor will have sides that prevent you touching the pins of your plug when it is partly inserted. If it does not have these it is not made to the relevant standards and should be avoided.

It should look something like this:

Reply to two pin 16av to three-pin uk plug in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock