Discuss Very strange problems with my light timers. I tried everything I could think of. Please help! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So I'm an aquarium enthusiast and I have several fish tanks in my house (all of them have lights that are connected to timers). My basement has multiple circuits, one for the washer and dryer, one for all the other outlets down there, and I also had an electrician install a brand new outlet on its very on circuit (just one outlet directly wired to the fuse box). Every morning all of the aquarium lights are supposed turn on at 8:00, and they all do except for the ones connected to the new outlet.

This is probably pretty confusing, but here is what I have tried.

The fish tank filters connected to the same new outlet never turn off (they are not on a timer but they are connected to the exact same new outlet).

So first I figured it must be the timer, except I have tried multiple timers and they all do the same thing...

Then I figured perhaps the power in my neighborhood might go out for a second and reset the timers. However the other timers connected to other outlets never fail to turn on, and none of the timers actually reset so it cant be from a power outage... If the power did go out then the timer would be blinking and the time would need reset. But that is not the case.

The single new outlet can handle 15 amps and there's not even close to that much power plugged into it and the breaker in the fuse box never flips...it's only the lights plugged into the one timer in the new outlet fail to turn on.

The strangest thing is that this dose not happen everyday, it's completely random. Sometimes they are on in the morning and sometimes they are not.

Also I don't know if this matters but the outlet has 4 plugs and only 2 of them are being used. One has an extension cord running to several tank filters, and the other one has the timer plugged into it.

The only reason I needed this new outlet is because I already had too many extension cords running all over the place and I just wanted a new outlet so I could have more plugs instead of using a million extension cords.

I really don't understand what is going on but any insight at all would be helpful. I'm going to lose my mind. PLEASE HELP!

had exactly the same problem when i had a huge setup of fish tanks, the thing that solved it for me was getting segment timers rather than digital.

Is it because the timer output is solid state (triac etc.) rather than relay contacts?

Reply to Very strange problems with my light timers. I tried everything I could think of. Please help! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net