Discuss voltage testers - which one should I get? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Busy Bee

Afternoon all
I'm stuck between voltage testers and I would appreciate your thought on which one to go for...
Megger TPT210 or
Fluke T5-1000
The meggar is half the price of the fluke but I don't know if that means anything in terms of quality and value for money.
Thanks for your comments
BB

the fluke wins hands down. lcd reading and a very useful open jaw clamp meter.

two very different testers there.... it depends on how much money you want to spend.

instead of the Megger TPT210 you could get a Metrel TEK900 for ÂŁ25, di-log DL6780 for ÂŁ35 or the fluke T-100 for ÂŁ45, they are all pretty much the same.
and as for the T5-1000, i don't know of any alternatives as i don't really need such a peice of kit (yet) and so i've never looked

As has been said, they are not really of the same tree.

I would recommend the T5-1000 over any other same spec meter as I've had mine for years andd it's still going strong.

Fluke do also make the same type of tester as the megger you have mentioned. Have a shop around.

I have the t5 bought in2000 still going strong.got the megger tp 210 as well it's ok it's the one I use most of the time.i prefer the fluke t 100 as it had larger led indicators and I'm old......

i have an oldish fluke T3? fairy light job that i use for general use as it don't matter if i drop it. get the t5-1000 out if i want to impress. LOL.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
Money is tight but I am prepared to spend if it is worth it. As im a new starter, the Fluke T5-1000 would be a good investment yes?

BB

To be fair they do a T5-600 which is only rated to 600v, it's about ÂŁ20 cheaper and identical to the 1000, let's face it, when are you ever going to test 601-1000v ?? So if your on a budget then this is the one.

To be fair they do a T5-600 which is only rated to 600v, it's about ÂŁ20 cheaper and identical to the 1000, let's face it, when are you ever going to test 601-1000v ?? So if your on a budget then this is the one.
Thanks for your advice High Tower and it certainly makes sense. I am only focussing on domestic work so a 600 would make sense.

BB

I have a T5-600 which i use very occasionally but mainly use (and abuse) the fluke T-50 for a number of years on domestic. The only downside on the T-50 is the removable probe sheilds ( when taken off) can do a runner !!!

Reply to voltage testers - which one should I get? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net