Discuss When will you start back working following the lockdown in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

As now with the lockdown and social distancing not everyone is following it to the letter, but the majority are and that's what matters.

Same thing when things restart, as long as the majority follow the guidance most of the time the spread will be limited.
If people have to work in groups, as long as the groups stay the same and not continually change then the risk of spread is limited.

Don’t agree. Whilst I understand those that is a need to earn an income to survive, seems some don’t really understand how dangerous this virus is.

The CMO says we’ll only have an ‘exit strategy’ with a vaccine and medicines for treatment. And that’s a way off.

Masks only prevents the spread of infectious droplets from a person to others, it does not stop you getting infected. You may wish to read the procedure for removing a mask and how long one is effective. I can’t see any of that being followed on a building site.

So you go to work, get infected, and go home and pass it on.

I’m trying to be as cautious as I can.

But people are people; staff have to work physically together, lifting things etc. Walking past each other in corridors, holding doors for others. Essential delivers still have to be made, and could be contaminated. And you should see the smoking shed, no 2 metre spacing there!

If you think you can return to work and able to comply with government guidance, you‘re misinformed, I’m afraid.
We actually built a new smoke hut to accommodate the people.

The bike shed was demolished to make way for it, but that's just a casualty of war.

Well I am being asked to continue/return to work on a mosque with other builders/trades who have continued working from a few weeks ago. I said I am not sure, as mid May seems to be the latest end of lockdown. But I see things are opening up again. I mean is the cure worse than the illness? I said I will consider the matter and talk next week about when to start back. To be honest I need the money. I have not jumped on the bandwagon with my cap out for freebees from the gov. I just don't know which way to jump on this. Besides I am enjoying the break and achieved a lot at home. Of course the other thing is the missus is now eying me up as the domestic worker. Think I would rather take my chances with coronovirus and work. I really don't know. I hope by next week guidance might change. At least the work before me I can work in pretty isolated work sites, which all inclines me to go and do some work.

Well I am being asked to continue/return to work on a mosque with other builders/trades who have continued working from a few weeks ago. I said I am not sure, as mid May seems to be the latest end of lockdown. But I see things are opening up again. I mean is the cure worse than the illness? I said I will consider the matter and talk next week about when to start back. To be honest I need the money. I have not jumped on the bandwagon with my cap out for freebees from the gov. I just don't know which way to jump on this. Besides I am enjoying the break and achieved a lot at home. Of course the other thing is the missus is now eying me up as the domestic worker. Think I would rather take my chances with coronovirus and work. I really don't know. I hope by next week guidance might change. At least the work before me I can work in pretty isolated work sites, which all inclines me to go and do some work.
Working conditions have altered again for staff at my place, more stricter. As I’ve said before, it’s very difficult keeping to the social distancing guidance and carry out your work.

I understand how financially difficult it must be for you guys, I don’t envy you. As things move on with combating this virus, hopefully things will change for you.

unfortunately they'll not change before my phone is cut off, van untaxed and uninsured. direct debits bounced by bank.

This is the thing @telectrix is the cure worse than the illness. Just been reading studies this morning that suggest there is no difference to infection rate whatever the strategy used. Also the death rate is reckoned per thousand as 1-2. On top of this there are no cases (according to this study) that people who are otherwise healthy died of coronovirus. They did however say the deaths that have occurred with pre-existing conditions while recorded as dying of coronovirus should be rephrased to dying with coronovirus, i.e. not necessarily being the cause of death but rather the final straw.
Given the effects on our economy and the micro economy in yours and mine and others circumstances, i.e. penury and debt etc. what the hell are we supposed to do? Hence I am seriously thinking of working. Albeit in isolated work environments. I feel for you tel and others who are in this place.

I mean is the cure worse than the illness?
That point was raised in the BBC article I linked to a few posts back - scroll down to "How should we interpret the death toll?" about half way down the page and read from there. There's a telling bit that says :
And the tipping point, they say, is a 6.4% decline in the size of the economy - on a par with what happened following the 2008 financial crash.
It would see a loss of three months of life on average across the population because of factors such declining living standards and poorer health care.

I suspect that it won't be long, if we haven't passed it already, before we exceed that shrink in the economy. During the 2008 crash, things didn't stop as suddenly or on such a large scale as they have done recently.
EDIT: The problem with any strategy based on that argument is persuading some parts of the population that "yes, it really is in the best interests of the country as a whole and the people in it that we let this pandemic carry on at a high but manageable rate - and that does mean people will die".

And only last night on the telly, they were pointing out that the old & vulnerable are likely to be told to self isolate until at least September. That's a long time for someone to be stuck at home, bored and lonely without their usual social interactions. I know it won't be that long before my mum starts saying something along the lines of "to hell with that, I'm going shopping and if I catch it I catch it". At 87 she accepts that she's had a good innings, and is tending towards an attitude of "go out happy, not with a long but miserable life".

And... I'm sure I read the other day about 50,000 avoidable cancer deaths caused by the NHS stopping testing/treatment whilst the virus is around ?
[automerge]1587716213[/automerge]
And... aren't Sweden showing a similar infection rate/death rate to us ? but they don't have the draconian segregation/shutdown ??

I've long since argued that as a country, we place far too high a value on life...

And... aren't Sweden showing a similar infection rate/death rate to us ? but they don't have the draconian segregation/shutdown ??

I've long since argued that as a country, we place far too high a value on life...
Only time will tell on that. Looked at some figures, and the US has 152 deaths to 1 million of population, where Sweden has 200 (due to CViD).

This is an interesting interpretation of events. Scroll down to ‘How confirmed cases of coronavirus has spread’.

I’ve been discussing this with my wife this morning.
If I was working in an empty property, on my own, and had all the materials so I don’t have to run off the wholesellers... fine. I would work.
Except my bread and butter is working in domestic, and a lot of my customers are over 70, or have health problems.

I was contacted last week about adding a few sockets on someone’s garage.... not in the house.... I told him I would do it, told him a price and he’s “thinking about it”

Also a job an hours drive away to run a SWA between 2 outbuildings.... waste of a trip when there’s other work to be done in the house itself.

A neighbour asked this morning if I could change their shower pull switch as it was stuck on..... again, told them a price and they’ve not come back.

I have other jobs to go back to, but it’s up to the individual customers.... and they don’t want anyone in the houses until lockdown is over..... whenever that may be

So basically the data says the data cannot be relied upon...which begs the question why say anything. What is the point of spending no doubt thousands and thousands on a report that says it is not a report. Lies lies and damn corona statistics.

Check here for data without the 'spin'
Not sure I'd read too much into those figures... for example Vietnam has not declared any deaths due to Covid-19 ??

Also... how do we know if someone dies solely because of Covid-19 or they happened to have had the virus when they died.

I think the only sensible way to understand the toll is to look at the increase in the 'normal' death rate... although this will include people that have died of other causes, but were not treated due to the Covid-19 distraction.

There is no easy way...

Well its paperwork for me at the mo ....I am so behind. I have carried out the odd urgent domestic job, with full PPE preferring to self-isolate gloves, wash them and reuse....however, If my masks run out I'll have to double up on scarfs, neck gaiters or adapt pants on my face!!
When do I go back ?....when the phone starts ringing of course

I’m going to look at a job this morning. Work in a garage for sockets and lights. I don’t know yet if there’s power already and if there’s an rcd present. There is further work to do in the house, but that can wait.

Looks like Dan has been tampering again with the forum... always improving;) but it looks like I’ve lost my “smiley face wearing mask” avatar.. Back to my coffee cup

Ice cream vans going round the streets. Essential worker?

Discuss

Attachments

• When will you start back working following the lockdown C730B70C-2ED8-4040-AC3A-2678D5EB76D8 - EletriciansForums.net
    C730B70C-2ED8-4040-AC3A-2678D5EB76D8.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 10
There is still no restriction on non-essential workers.
Whilst an ice cream van doesn't appear to be a sensible thing at the moment, it is technically a takeaway food service I guess and as long as people stand 2m apart in the queue it could be safe.

Any takeaway service is not allowed to take orders at the counter. All orders should be remotely arranged ie by telephone. Same goes for any wholesalers offering collection services.

Reply to When will you start back working following the lockdown in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock