Discuss When will you start back working following the lockdown in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

but, keeping things in perspective. up to date corona related deaths total approx. 0.3% of the population of the UK. whilst all deaths are tragic, for the victims and their families, it's statistically a small %.

but, keeping things in perspective. up to date corona related deaths total approx. 0.3% of the population of the UK. whilst all deaths are tragic, for the victims and their families, it's statistically a small %.

To provide more perspective, the 0.3% figure only represents deaths we know about and only deaths so far.
It does not include deaths of people who were not tested which are thought to be many thousands.
It does not include deaths of people affected by other factors such as lack of available care from a stretched NHS.
Two weeks ago the weekly death toll of all deaths in England and Wales was double its usual level, 3000 deaths in that week were excessive to normal levels but not attributed to covid-19.

It is likely to be years before the true figures are known. After China relaxed preventative measures and reassessed their data, their total death toll jumped by 50%

The govt initially said if they could keep total deaths to fewer than 20k they would have succeeded, so the govt strategy has already failed spectacularly.

'essential' was a nefarious term from day one, simply dependent on whomever was in need or asked.

relief , especially for the smallest of sm biz (SBA qualifies 500 and less as small) was a joke.

i applied for it all.....there was simply no way for small hand to mouth biz to stay alive with what was offered

now we are allowed to operate by degree, but the fact are materials and suppliers have been compromised, to the point where nothing is a 'sure thing'

Anecdotally, most of my biz will now be businesses changing hands , escapees setting up camp

But the bottom line is an entire economy does not turn on/off like the many switches we install, thus the market heads down the road to perdition.

If any of us were an airline or bank we'd be livin' large , but if you're a little guy , go google the sm biz projections for the next year , it ain't pretty

good luck

~S~

Expressing it as a percentage of the population of the UK is misleading, it implies that the rate of deaths is much lower than it is.
You need to express the number of deaths as a percentage of the number of cases of coronavirus, this will give a more accurate representation.

You could accurately say a fraction of a percent of the population of the UK die from asbestosis, this makes it sound far better than when you say 100% of people with asbestosis ultimately die from it.
[automerge]1588415614[/automerge]
Any takeaway service is not allowed to take orders at the counter. All orders should be remotely arranged ie by telephone. Same goes for any wholesalers offering collection services.

I didn't know that bit, in which case the ice cream van isn't complying

I didn't know that bit, in which case the ice cream van isn't complying

I've just re read the guidance from govt (reason is the missus works in a takeaway at the moment) and it's more vague than I quoted to be honest.

It's worded "should only be taking telephone orders" but that's geared up for premises to stop crowding. And as ever it's only guidance.
A bit like the heights for sockets complies with part M but is not the only way to comply I suppose.

A little detail of the ice cream van in question...

There were 2 occupants, the driver/server and a passenger. When stopped the passenger, wearing a mask, apron and gloves, got out and managed the queue. Which was a queue of one when I saw them. I couldn't tell if the server had a mask on, but I think blue food grade gloves are normal anyway.
I can only assume the driver and passenger are from the same household.

Personally, I am a little biased against ice cream vans.
When I was running the wifes familys caravan park, we had a van come round. He had come in, asked permission, and when he'd done his round, would stop outside the office and let us have something.
Another van turned up one day, stepping on the regular guys turf, and the pair of them had a massive barney in the carpark...

After that we started stocking ice creams in reception, and told both of them not to come back

A little detail of the ice cream van in question...

There were 2 occupants, the driver/server and a passenger. When stopped the passenger, wearing a mask, apron and gloves, got out and managed the queue. Which was a queue of one when I saw them. I couldn't tell if the server had a mask on, but I think blue food grade gloves are normal anyway.
I can only assume the driver and passenger are from the same household.

Personally, I am a little biased against ice cream vans.
When I was running the wifes familys caravan park, we had a van come round. He had come in, asked permission, and when he'd done his round, would stop outside the office and let us have something.
Another van turned up one day, stepping on the regular guys turf, and the pair of them had a massive barney in the carpark...

After that we started stocking ice creams in reception, and told both of them not to come back

Another ice cream man trying to scoop another's patch ? How dairy ?
I can understand them being territorial on a caravan park as you could make plenty of lolly, especially on a sundae.
Let's hope after the argument none of them felt bad enough to top themselves.

I thank you.

And I apologise.

I'm here all week. And probably the next few months.

Another ice cream man trying to scoop another's patch ? How dairy ?
I can understand them being territorial on a caravan park as you could make plenty of lolly, especially on a sundae.
Let's hope after the argument none of them felt bad enough to top themselves.

I thank you.

And I apologise.

I'm here all week. And probably the next few months.
suppose it was something like:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e1xvyTdBZI

I am confused.com
Some of the takeaways around here are still open, over the counter stuff too.

Funnyly enough, I've heard the ice cream van circling round my estate today. I remember reading about one guy that had several vans, but had temporarily closed down his business, cos of COViD19.

Guess everyone is not following the guidance. Like some here are being tempted (because of financial hardship) of returning to work.

Yes @Midwest I am thinking of going back to work in the next week or so. It has been arranged I can work on my own. But I must say there are still a few guys on site plastering and rendering and doing carpentry and have been throughout. I guess my door to van, van to site, site to van, van to home again surely can't be a risk, gulp! I suppose I could be wrong.

Yes @Midwest I am thinking of going back to work in the next week or so. It has been arranged I can work on my own. But I must say there are still a few guys on site plastering and rendering and doing carpentry and have been throughout. I guess my door to van, van to site, site to van, van to home again surely can't be a risk, gulp! I suppose I could be wrong.
I don’t envy you guys, as I said before.

Ive not stopped working, deemed an essential worker. However, from my experience working in a large premises, it’s almost impossible to follow social distancing guidelines. I expect the likes of Amazon or Tesco warehouses will be the same.

On a smaller scale, guess you can be more selective. But you should still follow the guidance.

It's hopefully not going to be anywhere near 0.3% of the population, that would be almost 200,000

It's hopefully not going to be anywhere near 0.3% of the population, that would be almost 200,000
i missed a 0 out. meant 0.03%

I have tried to take a careful look at .gov advice/instructions and it seems it is ok to go to work. Especially regarding construction industries and of course within that electricians. I looked at the attached guidance and advice on .gov web site and I conclude it is ok to go to work what say you all? It refers you to the following doc.

Attachments

• Site-Operating-Procedures.pdf
    278.4 KB · Views: 5
I have tried to take a careful look at .gov advice/instructions and it seems it is ok to go to work. Especially regarding construction industries and of course within that electricians. I looked at the attached guidance and advice on .gov web site and I conclude it is ok to go to work what say you all?

Going to work has always been allowed where it is not possible to do the work from home, as long as you, or anyone you live with, don't have any symptoms of the disease

Working in peoples homes has been a bit of a tricky one, it's technically allowed but nobody really wants to, or wants people to.

Only for essential maintenance or repairs.

I'm sure that's changed again, it was allowed in previous guidance. I downloaded the guidance a few weeks ago.

It's refusing to let me upload and image but it says that:
Work carried out in people’s homes, for example by tradespeople carrying out repairs and maintenance,
can continue, provided that the tradesperson is well and has no symptoms. Again, it will be important to
ensure that Public Health England guidelines, including maintaining a 2 metre distance from any household
occupants, are followed to ensure everyone’s safety.
No work should be carried out in any household which is isolating or where an individual is being shielded,
unless it is to remedy a direct risk to the safety of the household, such as emergency plumbing or repairs,
and where the tradesperson is willing to do so. In such cases, Public Health England can provide advice to
tradespeople and households.
No work should be carried out by a tradesperson who has coronavirus symptoms, however mild.
[automerge]1588538556[/automerge]
but .gov advice says it's ok to work on normal things given no one is ill and two metre rule observed with hand washing and bacterial gel etc.

That depends on where you look, there is guidance on one part of the site that says work can continue in people's homes, with repairs and maintainence given as an example of work that might be done in people's homes.
On anothe rpart of the site it says that only emergency repairs can be carried out in people's homes.

Reply to When will you start back working following the lockdown in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock