Discuss ambient operating temperature of consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I will be installing an A3 consumer unit for a customer in a hallway, and they are thinking of relocating a radiator directly below it. Assuming the maximum temperature of the rad is never likely to exceed 30'c, an MK technical tell me the operating temperature of their mcb/rcd is -5 - 40'c, I can't see it being an issue. Wouldn't have considered it before with plastic CU's, but was wondering if metal CU's would make a difference, my physics is not good?

I would expect the radiator, if a standard gas / electric boiler, would exceed 30°C however the ambient temperature of a consumer unit above it should not exceed 40°C.
With a metal enclosure there would be better conductance of heat into the interior and the DIN rail and earth bar, but overall the system will reach thermal equilibrium at a very similar state to a plastic CU.
The installation of a diverter plate below the CU would go some way to preventing a build up of heat in the CU, if you feel it necessary.

If the CU is at high level I wouldn't expect the ambient temperature to reach 30c, even if it did I can't see any problem as long as cables and OCPDs are correctly rated.

it will be OK as it's metal, non-combustible, it can survive being in the exhaust of the starship enterprise for 30 minutes to comply with fire regs. however, it will be radioactive for 30 million years, so wear a dust mask when disposing of it in an eco-friendly way (i.e.chuck it in the nearest dustbin).

I would expect the radiator, if a standard gas / electric boiler, would exceed 30°C however the ambient temperature of a consumer unit above it should not exceed 40°C.

The installation of a diverter plate below the CU would go some way to preventing a build up of heat in the CU, if you feel it necessary.
Sorry meant ambient temperature above the rad unlikely to exceed 30'c. Thought about a shelf. But worrying needlessly I think, if we get a good summer this year, the ambient temperature could reach at least 30'. :grin:

metal CU.....what could possibly go wrong? (apart from a "live" casing due to some dipstick mis-wiring the earths. tails shorting out, rust, oops. forgot it's amd3 compliant, must be OK.)

I'd guess they rate the ambient temperature at 40C because you'd need to apply derating factors to the tripping curves of the circuit breakers if that's exceeded. The actual materials inside a CU should be able to withstand way over 40C without damage.

I'd guess they rate the ambient temperature at 40C because you'd need to apply derating factors to the tripping curves of the circuit breakers if that's exceeded. The actual materials inside a CU should be able to withstand way over 40C without damage.

of course they will. amd3 ensures that they'll withstand 600 deg.C.,,being steel or concrete. :45:

I will be installing an A3 consumer unit for a customer in a hallway, and they are thinking of relocating a radiator directly below it. Assuming the maximum temperature of the rad is never likely to exceed 30'c, an MK technical tell me the operating temperature of their mcb/rcd is -5 - 40'c, I can't see it being an issue. Wouldn't have considered it before with plastic CU's, but was wondering if metal CU's would make a difference, my physics is not good?

Whats sort of Rad would that be, a very large one:confused5:

Cheers

If it's in an OAPs house then the 'altisphere' above the door frames can easily reach in excess of 80°C! Or that's what it sometimes feels like when you are changing over a fiddly light fitting in the middle of winter, especially in old Victorian 10ft high ceiling houses. In those circumstances I always strip down to my string vest. So, yes Mid, a shelf may be needed! Seriously though I wouldn't worry mate. Cannot see it being an issue in any typical house and in a hallway.

but if the metal CU is below 70 deg. C., how the hell are the customers supposed to dry/warm their coats on it?

(reply to GayOwl) Yep I got my nickers in a string vest about it, I've stopped worrying now, concentrating on something else now!

Last edited:

Reply to ambient operating temperature of consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net