Discuss Consumer unit installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TechDave

Hi,

I would like some advice on a new consumer installation if possible. (2 bedroom flat, with kitchen).

Circuit 1, protected with 30mA RCD and 32A MCB: Cooker.
Circuit 2, protected with 30mA RCD and 20A MCB: Ring main, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine, Combi-boiler.
Circuit 3, protected with 30mA RCD and 20A MCB: Sink canopy lights and shaver socket both located in bathroom.
Circuit 4, protected with 6A MCB: Ceiling lights, bathroom extractor fan.

All RCD and MCB listed are separate for each circuit.

Hi,

I would like some advice on a new consumer installation if possible. (2 bedroom flat, with kitchen).

Circuit 2, protected with 30mA RCD and 20A MCB: Ring main, Fridge, Freezer, Washing machine, Combi-boiler.
Circuit 3, protected with 30mA RCD and 20A MCB: Sink canopy lights and shaver socket both located in bathroom.

What about it?

Hi,

Hi there TD, what advice would you like? Circuits 1-3, are they protected by a single RCD or are you indicating RCBOs?

Last edited:
Hi,

Er, re, why no rcd protection for lights, segregation??

I hope he has supplementary bonding in the bathroom without the RCD on circuits serving and passing through.

Hi, I would like to hear opinions if this install is correct and sensible.

The circuits each have an individual RCD.

I didn't include RCD on the lighting to avoid nuisance tripping caused by blowing bulbs.

Shaver socket on a 20A radial?
Canopy lights on a 20A radial?
A sink in a bathroom?

I didn't include RCD on the lighting to avoid nuisance tripping caused by blowing bulbs.

The Trainee section of this forum has a wealth of information!

hum.... Not the way to do it.

by seperate rcd do you mean a RCBO?

you need to go back and install a RCBO for the lights.

Hi,

TD, I am sorry that I did not read the last line of your post which leaves me more concerned than when I first read it. My earlier questions stand. Are you coming at this from the perspective of an 'enthusiastic amateur' perhaps more akin to DIY? Alternatively, do you have the relevant documents, test equipment and some training and are you therefore looking to be supported in a more professional journey? There is a DIY section that you can request access to and from your question it seems that you are more in the DIY camp. Please give us 'all' the information about your background, your level of skill and equipment and whose property you are proposing working on?

Last edited:

Blowing lamps doesn't cause an RCD to trip, it creates a current surge in the normal circuit conductors which can cause an OCPD to operate but not an RCD.

Shaver socket on a 20A radial?
Canopy lights on a 20A radial?
A sink in a bathroom?

TD, what have you based your proposal for the rating of your Over Current Protective Devices (OCPDs) upon? How do you propose to place 3 separate RCDs, 1 for each OCPD in a standard consumer unit? In order to define the rating for your OCPDs, you need to be able to understand and apply diversity, particularly for the cooker and Ring Final Corcuit (RFC). The term 'ring main' has not been used for some time in professional circles.

The term 'ring main' is still in use today in professional circles with the same meaning it has always had, a distribution circuit in the form of an open ring, usually at 11KV.

It has never been the correct term for a ring final circuit.

TD, I am sorry that I did not read the last line of your post which leaves me more concerned than when I first read it. My earlier questions stand. Are you coming at this from the perspective of an 'enthusiastic amateur' perhaps more akin to DIY? Alternatively, do you have the relevant documents, test equipment and some training and are you therefore looking to be supported in a more professional journey? There is a DIY section that you can request access to and from your question it seems that you are more in the DIY camp. Please give us 'all' the information about your background, your level of skill and equipment and whose property you are proposing working on?

Would this extra information help answering my question? If so then I will provide as necessary.

The term 'ring main' is still in use today in professional circles with the same meaning it has always had, a distribution circuit in the form of an open ring, usually at 11KV.

It has never been the correct term for a ring final circuit.

d, thanks for the correction ... I had a feeling that it was only ever used by us, the great unwashed ... or uninitiated in the arcane world of electrical distribution and installations. Unfortunately I had not known for sure!

GB

d, thanks for the correction ... I had a feeling that it was only ever used by us, the great unwashed ... or uninitiated in the arcane world of electrical distribution and installations. Unfortunately I had not known for sure!

GB

I think it was originally 'ring final sub circuit' but I would have to go and find my copy of the 13th edition to check on that.

I think that I may have unwisely chosen to post here, judging by some responses.

Would this extra information help answering my question? If so then I will provide as necessary.

TD, answering your question is an incredibly difficult balancing act! More information is required ... but I hope that you have picked up by now the fact that you appear to anyone with some training in the 'field', of electrical installation, to be insufficiently equipped to be doing what you propose to do!

I think that I may have unwisely chosen to post here, judging by some responses.

I humbly suggest that you contact one of the moderators for access to the DIY section of the Forum ... Marvo is one of the moderators who was on a little while ago ... PM him or I can on your behalf if you like!

Reply to Consumer unit installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net