Discuss Cooker Cable Calc question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kiwiNCFC

Hello,

Just doing a Cooker Cable Calculation for a Rangemaster Toldeo 110.

Total Load is 17.4kW

Calculations

17400/230 = 75.65A

First 10A = 10A
30% of remainder (65.65A) = 19.70A
Cooker Point with Socket = 5A

Total Current = 34.70A

Cable will be layed under floor then chased into wall

From my Calculations 10mm T+E should be used.

But.....

The cooker will be used everyday as the customer cooks for work so a high probability that all 4 rings would be on plus oven for hours at a time.

When I calculate all 4 rings being on (4x 2.3kW) (40a)
and the oven 8kw (34.78a)

it totals 74.78A

Over a period of hours surely this would trip the 40a MCB i was planning to install? Is there something I'm overlooking or not quite understanding?

Thanks in advance!

I would dispense with the socket on the cooker point and install 10mm - especially if a new circuit is requried.

A call to rangemaster technical may be a sensible action too.

Hello,

Total Load is 17.4kW

Calculations

17400/230 = 75.65A

First 10A = 10A

Total Current = 34.70A

But.....

The cooker will be used everyday as the customer cooks for work so a high probability that all 4 rings would be on plus oven for hours at a time.

it totals 74.78A

Over a period of hours surely this would trip the 40a MCB i was planning to install? Is there something I'm overlooking or not quite understanding?

Thanks in advance!

you should have stopped at the 34.78A, that is your calculated load after diversity.

Why do you think it is necessary to second guess the diversity calculations which have been developed and used over decades without a problem.

If all 4 rings and the oven were on for a period of hours then the elements would overheat and burn out in no time. The individual thermostats will be cycling each load independently, this is the principle on which diversity is based.

Hello,

Total Load is 17.4kW

Calculations

17400/230 = 75.65A

First 10A = 10A

Total Current = 34.70A

But.....

it totals 74.78A

Thanks in advance!
10mm2 sounds right, that said, how far away from the distribution board is the cooker chuckle?

All i can say is that the oven must be bloody enormous if it draws 8KW!! You sure it isn't a dual/double oven and grill or something??

THERE'S NOT A DOMESTIC COOKER MADE THAT WON'T BE HAPPY ON A 32a mcb AND A 6MM CABLE, UNLESS CABLE IS SMOTHERED IN ITCHY-POO.

there are a lot of different versions under that model though

depending on the options from 14-17kw load

6 induction hobs and double oven, no wonder they are saying its that high

Sounds more like a commercial or semi commercial cooker with 6 induction plates 2 ovens and probably a grilling element than one designed for domestic usage. I haven't checked but by the sound of it, it's another one of these power hungry overpriced American cookers??

We had a Falcon range cooker with induction. Installed on a 10mm2 cable, 40amp breaker. Never had a problem. The stated loads are for everything on FULL, all rings, oven, grill etc.

In reality though, that would never happen. It would be interesting to put everything on, say, half power and clamp the live at the board.

We had a Falcon range cooker with induction. Installed on a 10mm2 cable, 40amp breaker. Never had a problem. The stated loads are for everything on FULL, all rings, oven, grill etc.

In reality though, that would never happen. It would be interesting to put everything on, say, half power and clamp the live at the board.

Far better to put a data logging ammeter on it than a clamp meter. The clamp meter will only give you a snapshot at a particular instant in time.

You need to look at the power consumption over time with any load which is not constant.

For reference I did this on a fish and chip van at a festival which claimed to have a load of 16KW almost entirely made up of cooking equipment.
The highest peak was around the 10KW mark early on with it sitting steady between 6 and 7 KW after the first half hour.

So if that's multiple cooking appliances in constant use for 8+ hours in a commercial application, what on earth makes you think a domestic cooker would take more?

Reply to Cooker Cable Calc question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net