Discuss Different core size connections in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi forum,
I’m planning some garden lighting and would like to try an minimise the amount of cable I’m using. I have a number of different lights/circuits in one area of the garden so was planning to run a multi core cable to a convenient place then make connections from there. All the lights will be LED and so very low voltage. Can I run eg a 12 core 1.5mm cable then Connect various 3 core 1mm cables to this? Or should the cable cross sections area all be the same?
Thanks in advance
Paul

connecting with wagos or connector blocks will be fine.

All the lights will be LED and so very low voltage.
Cable size is determined by current, not voltage. If you're using the cable to supply the light fittings with 12 Volts you need a much larger cable than the one upstream that's supplying 230 Volts to the power supplies/drivers.

I'd suggest you at least pay a sparky an hour for advice and help with the circuit designs even if you're going to do the installation yourself, I think it will work out cheaper in the long run.

Cable size is determined by current, not voltage. If you're using the cable to supply the light fittings with 12 Volts you need a much larger cable than the one upstream that's supplying 230 Volts to the power supplies/drivers.

I'd suggest you at least pay a sparky an hour for advice and help with the circuit designs even if you're going to do the installation yourself, I think it will work out cheaper in the long run.
Thanks for your replies, I couldn’t get hold of my electrician so thought I’d ask you guys. He also confirmed wago boxes will be ok so long as they are in a weather proof box.

Reply to Different core size connections in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net