Discuss Do we need stabilizer for SMPS in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi,
I have a big LED Panel board which uses several LED multicolor panels that are powered by around 15 DC 12V 80A SMPS power supply adapters(Input 230V AC). I am seeing these power supplies being failed very frequently. I do not see any kind of burnt components, but no power in output. The dealer says, that my incoming EB line would have fluctuations which is causing this. But I have several other appliances and SMPS for camera system which doesnt face this problem. Can you suggest, if I can use a stabilizer for theses SMPS so there wont be any fluctuations in the input current voltage? If you could think of any other problem please do recommend.

Thanks,
Jim.

P

plugsandsparks

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Difficult to say without getting one taken apart to find actual fault.

What i do in these situations is try an alternative manufacturer.

Recently had issues with failing comms equipment and alter several replacements failed changed to another supplier and magically no more issues

P

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Are they running hot normally? How long are they lasting?

If checking them be very sure they are fully shrouded/insulated as often the exposed parts like heatsinks are live!

Power supplies are often the part that fails first, they are usually built down to a price and then down a bit more. Sometimes it is just a bad manufacturing batch, other times just crap design.

Most are specified for the full AC range, say 207-253V for Europe/UK, so normal mains fluctuations should not matter. You can get them damaged by lightning surges or very big industrial motors nearby inducing over-voltages, but that is pretty rare in most environments.

Reply to Do we need stabilizer for SMPS in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical News from Electricians Forums and Friends

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.