Discuss Electrical degree in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

some degree courses give accreditation for prior learning hence HNC/ HND will give you credits for one or two years of the degree course. That said not all degree courses do this so depending on your chosen degree you may not be given the credits you are looking for so as i said in my previous post go into it with your eyes open. Contact the course provider and make sure you will be given credits for HNC/HND if you go down this route. MY daughter is finding out the hard way about this and is not being given credits for her course she is doing.

some degree courses give accreditation for prior learning hence HNC/ HND will give you credits for one or two years of the degree course. That said not all degree courses do this so depending on your chosen degree you may not be given the credits you are looking for so as i said in my previous post go into it with your eyes open. Contact the course provider and make sure you will be given credits for HNC/HND if you go down this route. MY daughter is finding out the hard way about this and is not being given credits for her course she is doing.

Now i know that things have changed more than just a little since my training days, but as far as i remember HNC gave you no credits towards any engineering degree course at that time,. But it was considered as an entry level qualification. The HND was however considered as a 1st year credit towards an Engineering degree course.

Unless you worked for my company that is, who were having none of it!! lol!! So i had to do the full 4 year sandwich degree course (company sponsored split on site/factory experience/academic course) , followed by another 9 months or so (as far as i can remember) full time, to get the higher degree. In those day's you also had to take on a subject that was albeit, unrelated to your main reading subject, and you needed a Pass mark in that too... lol!!!

Those thinking of going down the full time higher education route, need to stand back and think long and hard, if you are a mature student, with a family. ...Well worth the ride, if your spouse is working and with you all the way, and your both thinking more towards the future than the present.

Now i know that things have changed more than just a little since my training days, but as far as i remember HNC gave you no credits towards any engineering degree course at that time,. But it was considered as an entry level qualification. The HND was however considered as a 1st year credit towards an Engineering degree course.

Unless you worked for my company that is, who were having none of it!! lol!! So i had to do the full 4 year sandwich degree course (company sponsored split on site/factory experience/academic course) , followed by another 9 months or so (as far as i can remember) full time, to get the higher degree. In those day's you also had to take on a subject that was albeit, unrelated to your main reading subject, and you needed a Pass mark in that too... lol!!!

Those thinking of going down the full time higher education route, need to stand back and think long and hard, if you are a mature student, with a family. ...Well worth the ride, if your spouse is working and with you all the way, and your both thinking more towards the future than the present.

You are making the same points i was trying to make, thanks for that. I was offered exemption for the first two years of my course as i hold two HND's but chose not to accept and went straight into my first year of a four year degree. I was lucky to have a wife who works to support me as i went full time into it, only working during vacations from university. The HNC/ HND does give you credits however not in all degrees as i said my daughter is studying law and will be given no credit for her HND so the poster needs to stand back and think long and hard about it as you quite correctly suggest

Having a degree is no guarantee of getting work! I looked at becoming a teacher due to the so called positive discrimination taking placed; sought advice and was told yes we need more men into the job and if i went down that road then they would look on my application favourably. So off i go to the university of St Andrews do a 4 year masters then apply for my post grad pgce course only to find everything i was told was ********. Tried 3 times to get on the course only to find i had no chance. The result of this is i am back doing what i started out doing all these years ago being a humble spark....not that there is anything wrong with this but being a spark with an Ma in management and economics has caused problems when applying for jobs.

What i am getting at is this if it is right for you then do it but just go into it with your eyes open after giving it a lot of thought because not everything you are told is true.

Best of luck in whatever you decide

The best route into vocational teaching is to be able to do the job first. Up until recently, you got the teaching qualification on the job. If you look at the teaching adverts they all say, 'must have vocational experience, teacher training will be provided'.

As far as an MBA goes. Don't tell prospective employers since its on a need to know basis and it would not be in your interest to tell them that you had an advanced degree in 'Corporate poetry'.

We met lots of guys with HNC/Ds and degrees on site. You could always tell since they would give you a 'funny' handshake....., but seriously, the quality of their work was much higher than the normal sparks.

very few companies are willing to pay people through a degree course these days, up until about 2004 quite a few did, now they don't want to go there with a long stick....why should they when they can just leave the eager students to take up the costs and bills....there are so many people going to University now to study Engineering that they can just wait for them to come along asking for work, and take their pick...and with the Universities love of overseas students and the higher fees that they pay, you are hard pushed to get into the course you really want to do as they get oversubscribed and fill up from abroad in the first instance before you can get a look in at any possible vacancies....I got offered sponsorship by an electronics manufacturer and turned it down(I didn't want to be "owned" which was part of the deal-supposedly for 3 years) every last other person on my course took the offer and got about 3k a year (in addition to their student loan) and most also had weekend/night jobs as well.....the company closed up shop and moved production to Poland about 4 years later (1 year after the end of the course) and they all got laid off with a very few asked to move to Poland as managers, as far as I know they declined and joined the job queue as well after 1 year of work.....companies are more inclined to sponsor/pay for non local students these days and they do it through their overseas branches/subsidiaries ...

Reply to Electrical degree in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock