Discuss Electrical safety diy in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lee sandland

Hi all,
Went to the local DIY centre today and just had a look at the electrical depart ,and found a t&e 10mm cable suitable for a 10Kw shower ?? , Why would they be selling that?
So you’re doing a late job and you local wholesalers have closed ok B & Q ECT is open so I can nip down there.
A forum on here not so long ago suggest a ban of electrical product like this on sale to cowboy builder ect
So why not make it a law that yes they can sell these products but anyone who buys them must have been a scheme member and show there card at the till as proof.
Just an idea??

what about the sparks that are not in the scheme when i was working on the ambulance stations and needed some twin and earth so i had to go b and q as it was the closest place get it by miles

so what your saying is becuase i dont belong to a scam sorry i mean scheme im not allowed to buy cable :confused:

what about the sparks that are not in the scheme when i was working on the ambulance stations and needed some twin and earth so i had to go b and q as it was the closest place get it by miles

so what your saying is becuase i dont belong to a scam sorry i mean scheme im not allowed to buy cable :confused:
Sorry mate it was only a idea .just to keep the cowboys out

Part P only covers some domestic installations, a DIYer can still legally carry out plenty of electrical work in their house, as can 'cowboys'......and I bet an awful lot of sparks who whinge about unqualified people doing electrical work are more than happy to do a bit of work/servicing on their vans and cars at the weekend to save a bob or two....
I know a sparks who resited and services his own gas boiler.......Let he who is without sin....you know the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part P only covers some domestic installations, a DIYer can still legally carry out plenty of electrical work in their house, as can 'cowboys'......and I bet an awful lot of sparks who whinge about unqualified people doing electrical work are more than happy to do a bit of work/servicing on their vans and cars at the weekend to save a bob or two....
ok, very true but it was just a idea ?, plus there is not alot you can do to a car nowdays, but check the oil &water lol

ok, very true but it was just a idea ?, plus there is not alot you can do to a car nowdays, but check the oil &water lol

wheel bearings, disc pads, brake discs, springs, shock absorbers to name some things that are replaced by DIY car mechanics on a regular basis. And there are NO checks at all on the quality of the work. Don't forget a car is a ton and a bit of metal travelling at great speed................:eek:

there is the MOT legal anual check so even if its DIY its checked the next MOT no house has an MOT and noone can get access to your house n check whats been done Police can check a car anytime they stop it different scinarios

wheel bearings, disc pads, brake discs, springs, shock absorbers to name some things that are replaced by DIY car mechanics on a regular basis. And there are NO checks at all on the quality of the work. Don't forget a car is a ton and a bit of metal travelling at great speed................:eek:
ok but it was only electrical safety i was on about

think what he was saying was if your not a spark you should'nt be allowed to buy it
wholesalers never used to trade to the public (and they certainly never gave out pamphlets with instructions on how to wire a shower)
Don't know how you would judge who is a spark and who isn't (it used to be a JIB card)

and I bet an awful lot of sparks who whinge about unqualified people doing electrical work are more than happy to do a bit of work/servicing on their vans and cars at the weekend to save a bob or two....

I am not a qualified mechanic but have 40+ years experience of worling on vehicles including complete engine rebuilds, my father who was a mechanic taught me well from a very young age. With the 30+ years qualified electrical experience I also have I find it works well on the repairing modern vehicles with all the electronic systems they have

And yes I whinge about the quality of the work todays mechanics sorry vehicle technicians turn out

And doing it myself not only saves money but alot of time as well and I know the job is done right

Reply to Electrical safety diy in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net