Search the forum,

Discuss employment after qualification in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wallicio

Hello all,

I have just passed my part P (woop woop) and will be sitting the 17th in Jan. I have no practical experience in electricity outside the workshop :(

Would it be fair to say i could seek employment once I have both of these qualifications as a Sparks mate or similar? Also what kind of pay would you get or does that depend on how much work you get? rough ballpark figure?

I do have a lot of other qualifications lined up as i am on one of those home learning courses.

Been in the same job for 10 years now (warehouse) and just need a little advice on taking the plunge into the big wide world of the Domestic Spark.

Any advice would be fantastic
Thankyou
Wallicio

What do you mean by passing your part P?. Have you had an assement from a scheme or have you done a DI course?

With both qualifications you would have a better chance of picking up work but there are a lot of guys out there looking for work and Christmas is not a good time for looking. A mate in the SE would expect 8 or 9 pounds an hour depending on the type of work

Malcolm is right. There are a LOT of guys searching for work right now fully qualified sparks with 20+ years experience are struggling.

Rates are the worst they've been, again experienced blokes settling for £10 just to get a job!

The hard bit is getting the experience so your best bet is to get what ever work you can helping experienced electricians even if its for peanuts or for free or even try and get them to take you on a modern apprentiship.
Hope this helps
Paul

Sorry,
malcolm,
Yeah have passed the EAL Level 2 domestic installers course. which for me included Part P.
As I said looking at 2382-10 mid to late January.

So what would you guys suggest then? would these qualifications not be enough to get in as a mate?
Would i need say the 2392-10 on top to get a job?

have the 2391-10, 2377 lined up too but not looking to do those til much later next year. after much study.

as always any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Yeah have passed the EAL Level 2 domestic installers course. which for me included Part P. = No such thing as Part P qual!

looking at 2382-10 mid to late January. = Good Good

would these qualifications not be enough to get in as a mate? = probably not seen as sparky mates have 2330 level 2 and 3

Would i need say the 2392-10 on top to get a job? = no try getting the 2391 when you have experience

have the 2391-10, 2377 lined up too but not looking to do those til much later next year = miss the 2392 and miss out 2377 concentrate on the 2391 and maybe a NVQ 3

Ok,

the full qualification is,

EAL VRQ Level 2 Certificate for domestic Electrical Installers.

Which I must be mis-informed is not part p then? thought it was.
I thought with this qualification you are deemed competent to approve your own notifiable work without having to prior inform building control?
Please if i am wrong can someone correct me?
(with no prior experience in the trade i wouldnt dream of doing any work until A, I felt competent, and B, was qualified. of which i have a long way to go)

So even if i have this(the vrq) and hopefully the 2382-10 mid jan, there is no point even looking for a job until I have the 2191?

You say skip the 2192 but i thought this qualification was brought in as the 2191 had such a low pass rate the powers that be brought the 2192 in as a step toward the 2191?

Also when i achieve the 2382-10 as far as i can see, no-one will wanna touch me without a 2330, so im not going to get any experience before the 2191 anyways? :D

Basically a load of teenagers will be rolling out of college with their 2330's and pretty much im not going to have a chance of competing for a job against them?

Wish I had stayed on at school now and done this much earlier.

Please some-one tell me im not wasting my time doing it this way.

As always, comments good and bad are appreciated.

Wallicio

The work place is full of 20yr + time served electricians, rates of pay are very low due to the large amount of electricians who are unemployed. The employers have the pick of the cream, all the schools are throwing out students with part P, just look at how many small vans pass with the Domestic Installer logo, so there must be a living in the domestic market. The one thing you need isn`t qualifications its experience, but they go hand in hand.Try and get some work and do night school two nights a week, 2330 part2 and 3 then NVQ, 2382-10 17th and then the hard one 2391 Inspect & Test. With the work and the qualifications the world is yours. I have worked all over the world as a British spark and the world love us as we have a very good reputation. All the best and you never stop learning, and learn to love laminate floors if you go the domestic route.

Ok,

the full qualification is,

EAL VRQ Level 2 Certificate for domestic Electrical Installers.

Which I must be mis-informed is not part p then? thought it was.
I thought with this qualification you are deemed competent to approve your own notifiable work without having to prior inform building control?
Please if i am wrong can someone correct me?

Wallicio

There is no "part p" qualification, that is just a reference to part p of the building regulations, which mention that certain electrical works are notifiable to Local Authority Building Control (and also mentions work must be done by competent persons). If you don't want to pay the LABC fee then you can join a competent person scheme such as NAPIT ELECSA NICEIC and various others. I believe they offer defined scope and full scope membership, and by being a member they notify LABC for you. There are various requirements to join these schemes and you will need some examples of your work to show the assessors (as well as Public Liability Insurance, Calibrated Testing equipment, Complaints procedure, copy of the 17th ed. regs and some other things including c&g 2382). Personally I am planning to do some work for friends on their houses (notifying LABC first) so I have a portfolio of work to show the assessors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks BigBoy,

(cant believe i just wrote that) lol

A little encouragement goes a long way thankyou.

The thing is im pretty much tied into the route I am on as it was an all in learn from home training provider number as i am in full time employment in a warehouse and have been for 10+years now.

With luck after the 2382 someone might want to take me on otherwise i will just keep plodding through the aforementioned courses and hopefully eventually land a job.

I understand there are a lot of cowboys out there and nothing can replace a 2330 3 year college course, but the advice i received which seemed pretty sound at the time was to go for a package and learn from home. As it just wasn't practical for me to be going to the college 1/2 nights a week (young family) and believe it or not but there are a lot of "mature" students going this route. You wouldnt have thought they would lay on these courses if your qualifications wouldnt get you anywhere at the end.
Or am i just being Naive? (NVQ2, 2382-10, 2392-10,2391-10,2377-12)

As always thanks for the advice, maybe once i have run the couse of this course and got all the quals, i will do the 2330.
Another string to the bow and all that.

Cheers

Wish you all the best as its not a good time in the spark world, stay where you are register with a scheme and do domestic work in your spare time to top up your money best of both worlds.

You wouldnt have thought they would lay on these courses if your qualifications wouldnt get you anywhere at the end.
Or am i just being Naive? (NVQ2, 2382-10, 2392-10,2391-10,2377-12)

Cheers

Colleges would tell you if you anything to get you enrolled on their courses, They are businesses and have targets like any other businesses, Unfortunately I now have little faith in the college as I gave up a full time job to retrain as an electrician solely on their advice and recommendation, You see they said theres a national shortfall of electricians, Which in my opinion is untrue, Theres certainly a lack of APPROVED & OFFICIAL JIB GRADED electricians in my opinion but certainly not a lack of guys without qualifications who have been a sparky for 20 years+ who with their experience will get the job before you hands down 100% everytime, What I have found is that with all the qualifications in the world very little people are prepared to give you a chance without the experience.
Im competing with skilled guys who have never sat an exam in their life...and to top it off theyre passing themselves off as electricians, NOT MATES, and getting paid at least £5ph more than I was onsite.

Reply to employment after qualification in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net