Discuss How to install a floodlight safely while up ladders in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm not usually trying to work 5m up, that is a touch high for comfort unless helper at bottom of ladder, etc. I never really though about "3 points of contact" but I guess indistinctively try to keep knees/shins in contact so there is some leverage to stabilise myself.

I have a a fall-arrest harness sort of thing somewhere, but (a) it is well past its certified date for the rip-tape thing, and (b) I suspect if attached to the ladder and not a proper bolt point it would do little to stop me hitting the ground.
Reminds me of a recent safety course

Instructor showing a slide demonstrating how some guy was half killed not using a harness correctly

He then asked the rhetorical question " did the harness do its job ? "

Last edited:
Hi guys & gals,

I'm just curious at how other sparkys install or replace accessories (floodlights, cctv cameras, etc. - domestic work in mind) while working on extension ladders?
Supposedly you should be doing it with 1 hand while the other holds on to the ladder but holding a floodlight, for example, in place while you put screws in is not an easy feat with one hand! In theory a pen pusher would say put scaffold up but show me a sparky who puts scaffold up to replace a customers home floodlight and I'll run round Manchester naked.
I was looking yesterday at gooseneck clamps and such to hold the accessory in place. Does anyone else use a particular gadget for this kind of job or does everyone else just grip the cable in their mouth, to stop the floodlight falling, while they thumble around dropping screws like me? 🤣
I saw a guy using one of these on Next doors house. Looks like a good bit of kit but don't step backwards. Lol.
1639754273442.png

Not bragging or anything, but I wrap my nob around one of the rungs a few times to maintain the 3 points of contact. Never seen this method mentioned in any guidance leaflets though.
Might have proved a bit difficult when I was swimming in the Olympics................. but might have come in useful doing my world renound, individual, circus high trapeze act.

Reply to How to install a floodlight safely while up ladders in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net