Discuss Measuring current using a Shunt Resistor & an Oscilloscope in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi people, I'm new using forums for this kind of purposes, so please forgive me if I can't explain myself well, also if this is the wrong sub-forum please tell me ¡.

I have to measure the output current & voltage of a High Frecuency, High Voltage transformer, I can measure the Output Voltage using a High Voltage Probe and my Handheld Oscilloscope, but I still have to deal with the current, I want to use a Homemade Shunt Resistor (0.1ohms) and my Oscilloscope, but before doing it I tried by measuring that voltage with my Fluke Multimeter, I was increasing the input voltage & It was working well but at some point my Multimeter Screen started to fade & show random numbers, What happened? The voltage on the Shunt wasn't that high (around 2.5 volts) when it started to fail, it still works. I don't want to damage my Oscilloscope, so I need to now what causes that issue.

Here is my circuit diagram if you wan't to know the way I'm measuring.

Considerations:
-I know my multimeter doesn't measure at those frequencies, but the error is constant so I can just adjust it.
-I know my oscilloscope does work at those frequencies.
-I have no idea of the value of the output current & voltage, also by measuring another transformer the values are not consistent.

Attachments

• Measuring current using a Shunt Resistor & an Oscilloscope Circuit - EletriciansForums.net
    Circuit.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 24
Hi - I’m back with the frequency being out of the meter’s range. Not sure what the point of measuring something that you know will be wrong?

One needs to know more about V1 eg: waveform?, output impedance as a function of frequency - what is its Thevenin 'equivalent circuit'?

Similarly, one needs to know more about the transformer - what is its 'equivalent circuit'?

The Fluke multimeter I think is likely to be an unsuitable instrument for your measurements.

The secondary current you measure depends on the source of emf 'looking left into the secondary and its waveform', the impedance looking left into the secondary and the impedance of the load - plus the impedances and frequency & waveform characteristics of your instruments.

Need some more detail from you.

Last edited:
Your measurement setup with the oscilloscope looks OK but safety first, the resistors suggest you have a high-voltage, high-current supply and if you're not secure with measurement principles I wonder if you have the expertise to be safe around the supply.

What is the output current and voltage and how are you protected from it?

Hmm, meter display going blank sounds a bit spooky and not obviously related to the measurement. Probably just coincidence.

Hi - I’m back with the frequency being out of the meter’s range. Not sure what the point of measuring something that you know will be wrong?
Hi, sorry it took me ages to reply but I'm kinda busy at work.
You're right, but I wanted to know if the error was somehow constant, & it was (kinda), I don't have access to any other meter so I'm stuck with it.
Here's the relation between the real output & what the meter shows.

Attachments

• Measuring current using a Shunt Resistor & an Oscilloscope Voltage - EletriciansForums.net
    Voltage.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 11
One needs to know more about V1 eg: waveform?, output impedance as a function of frequency - what is its Thevenin 'equivalent circuit'?

Similarly, one needs to know more about the transformer - what is its 'equivalent circuit'?

The Fluke multimeter I think is likely to be an unsuitable instrument for your measurements.

The secondary current you measure depends on the source of emf 'looking left into the secondary and its waveform', the impedance looking left into the secondary and the impedance of the load - plus the impedances and frequency & waveform characteristics of your instruments.

Need some more detail from you.

Hi, I know that should provide that kind of data, but sadly I can't show them, what I can show is this:
The input's waveform looks like a square (I'm attaching a pic & yes, where I'm working I only have access to Paint :l).
I still need to do the Thevenin Analysis, It's not that hard but they want me to focus on something else.
My instruments.... I'm stuck with them, I already measured the error, the results are shown in a reply above.
My output waveform looks like a M, I'm also attaching a pic showing it.
Thank you very much, you seem to know a lot.

Attachments

• Measuring current using a Shunt Resistor & an Oscilloscope wave 2 - EletriciansForums.net
    wave 2.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Measuring current using a Shunt Resistor & an Oscilloscope Wave - EletriciansForums.net
    Wave.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Your measurement setup with the oscilloscope looks OK but safety first, the resistors suggest you have a high-voltage, high-current supply and if you're not secure with measurement principles I wonder if you have the expertise to be safe around the supply.

What is the output current and voltage and how are you protected from it?

Hi, & thank you for replying <3.
I haven't had a proper training on that (if there's any), I have no idea about the output voltage & current (actually that's the reason I'm trying to measure it), but the voltage is around the 3.8KV.
About security.... there's none, we don't have security equipment.

Thank you very much.

Re #8. The two waveforms tell you a lot. The equal mark:space ratio of the square wave means it contains only the fundamental sinusoid (20kHz) and odd harmonics of it ie: 60kHz, 100kHz, 140kHz,....

Measuring current using a Shunt Resistor & an Oscilloscope 1561621542487 - EletriciansForums.net

The waveform of the output voltage/current shows it is mainly comprised of the fundamental (20kHz) and third harmonic (60kHz).

Measuring current using a Shunt Resistor & an Oscilloscope 1561621614261 - EletriciansForums.net

Is your measurement question:

a. 'what is the effective root mean square(rms) value of this second waveform?' or

b. 'what is the amplitude of each component (fundamental, third, fifth, etcetera)? of this second waveform?'

Re #8. The two waveforms tell you a lot. The equal mark:space ratio of the square wave means it contains only the fundamental sinusoid (20kHz) and odd harmonics of it ie: 60kHz, 100kHz, 140kHz,....

View attachment 50231

The waveform of the output voltage/current shows it is mainly comprised of the fundamental (20kHz) and third harmonic (60kHz).

View attachment 50232

Is your measurement question:

a. 'what is the effective root mean square(rms) value of this second waveform?' or

b. 'what is the amplitude of each component (fundamental, third, fifth, etcetera)? of this second waveform?'

I knew that would happen, because the transformer acts (kinda) like a filter.
I'm aware of how VRMS works, I know that I could get it's function & evaluate it to obtain such voltage (& then check if that matches with the value shown in my oscilloscope), also, knowing the values of those armonics is not really important to me.

My main issue is if there are risks if I measure the current using a shunt & my oscilloscope, because I did a measure using such shunt & my multimeter & at some point it started to show some random numbers & the display faded, I need to measure the waveform using the oscilloscope & I don't want to damage it.

Btw, no, it doesn't have a FFT function (& you don't know how much I hate that).

I think I better understand(?) your measurement problem now; how do you measure/detect a small ac current flowing in a high voltage circuit using an oscilloscope without risk of high voltage damage to the oscilloscope.

What one might do is provide galvanic isolation between the oscilloscope and the sensed circuit. A transformer does that as suggested earlier. You could also use a Hall effect current sensor. The problem I think you will find is discovering such a sensor which will measure small currents and provide sufficient galvanic isolation.

I once used this chip to measure ac current in a 240V circuit - it has 2.4kV of galvanic isolation but operates in the 0-10Amp range which is no use to you.

What I suggest you do is do some research and also contact manufacturers of such Hall Effect Sensors, Allegro being one.

Sorry I cannot be more help - but it is certainly an interesting problem - to measure a tiny current, in a high voltage circuit, accurately and above all safely. Is this why you have been set the problem?

You might want to look at this:

and think about how you could use an opto-isolator/opto-coupler between the current sensor and your 'scope:

A quick look at the isolation voltage shows some of the opto-isos in the kV range.

Good luck.

:)

Reply to Measuring current using a Shunt Resistor & an Oscilloscope in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock