Discuss New Circuit of Distribution Board But Can't Access Main Board in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SW1970

Hi folks, adding new lighting circuit to distribution board in small rented commercial property. There's a dist board in this property however main board and point of origin are in an adjacent rented out small commercial building that is difficult to access. Landlord has keys etc but as it's leased to a tenant who is not often there, is reluctant to let me in, even though he's supposed to etc. Can I sign off when not able to access the main board and point of origin or is it a showstopper? If I can proceed without access to main board, how to consider this limitation on the Minor Works Certificate? Many thanks! SW

Hi folks, adding new lighting circuit to distribution board in small rented commercial property. There's a dist board in this property however main board and point of origin are in an adjacent rented out small commercial building that is difficult to access. Landlord has keys etc but as it's leased to a tenant who is not often there, is reluctant to let me in, even though he's supposed to etc. Can I sign off when not able to access the main board and point of origin or is it a showstopper? If I can proceed without access to main board, how to consider this limitation on the Minor Works Certificate? Many thanks! SW

Well for a start, you can't use a MEIWC if you are installing a new circuit. It will need to be an EIC I'm afraid.

the main info you can't get is Ze, and the main OCP fuse details. best you can do is enter N/V for the main fuse, and enter a figure for Zdb and PFC at your accessible board.

Yep, ok, bashing out a post before rushing off to a job and got it wrong. Any helpful input?

Well, I'm sorry that you did not find my post helpful. I was not trying to be picky, it was just that having recently read the Chief Examiners report from the last 2391 exam, this was something that they picked up on, and it has therefore stuck in my head.

The EIC has different reporting requirements, as I'm sure you are aware, regarding supply characteristics.
'Nature and type of live conductors' being one that is impossible to ascertain without access to the main intake. So in other words, using the correct document is putting additional demands on your work, and your problem, that an MEIWC wouldn't. That is why I mentioned it.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, apologies for my morning curtness. As it happens I'm using a NAPIT mweic/prov of single circuit certificate so it's a moot point. I'll record per tele's advice. Cheers.

Hi, apologies for my morning curtness. As it happens I'm using a NAPIT mweic/prov of single circuit certificate so it's a moot point. I'll record per tele's advice. Cheers.

No problem, and no apology necessary. From your point of view, given what you've said about NAPITs form, I can see how my post wouldn't have been seen as giving the advice you needed. Anyway, I hope it all goes smoothly.

Cheers

Reply to New Circuit of Distribution Board But Can't Access Main Board in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net