Discuss NIC Pre assessment in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

sparks1234

-
Arms
Reaction score
Well, that was a very scary afternoon with the NIC man for a pre assesment for inclusion as an approved contrac I dont know whether it was the right decision to apply to the NIC but needs must, hopefully it was first night nerves

We have just changed our nic fella last time and we got pulled for not mechanically fixing board schedule, in a little poxi cupboard, and you know what, hes put it down on his sheet, for next yr, very petty, but new boy has to find something.

I did feel (and this is no critisism of the particular assessor) that the NIC is for the client and not for the contractor. I am slightly concerned about getting tripped up over something stupid which I feel could easily be discussed. I know we are all supposed to be able to do a good safe job but the way this guy was able to quote reg numbers etc etc. Scary

I did feel (and this is no critisism of the particular assessor) that the NIC is for the client and not for the contractor. I am slightly concerned about getting tripped up over something stupid which I feel could easily be discussed. I know we are all supposed to be able to do a good safe job but the way this guy was able to quote reg numbers etc etc. Scary

You are bang on right, the NIC are there for the client as a guarentee as if YOU as the contractor go bust then the NIC oversee any circumstances for the said customer, ie legal proceedings and any works that need finishing they the NIC will arrange this with another NIC registered contractor.

You are bang on right, the NIC are there for the client as a guarentee as if YOU as the contractor go bust then the NIC oversee any circumstances for the said customer, ie legal proceedings and any works that need finishing they the NIC will arrange this with another NIC registered contractor.

In complete contrast to the ECA who seem to look out a lot more for the sparky.

It also seems that they also have a lot of different views and quite a few rules of their own that they like to impose

It´s quite understandable to think that the NIC want to "take over the world". I get the impression that many feel that they are the only body that counts as far as insurance companies and LA´s are concerned. But then who´s fault is that? NIC marketing appears to be streets ahead of the other 4 bodies - one could argue that they are doing what they should be doing whilst the ECA through ELECSA seem frustratingly reluctant to flex their muscles.

At least one of the other 4 best at least put their fists up - otherwise it could be too far down the road to" pull level".

I get the impression that many sparkies would rather not register with the NIC as they don´t like their superior attitude - but having the bottle to stay away from the "dark side" and the possible negative consequences of obtaining work is too risky - and therein lies the problem.

I dont have a problem and im not with the NIC.

Then again, i dont do much commercial work, mainly domestic, and most clients arent even aware of Part P, let alone the NIC.

I dont have a problem and im not with the NIC.

Then again, i dont do much commercial work, mainly domestic, and most clients arent even aware of Part P, let alone the NIC.

Totally agree Jason ! its a shame the world dont know whats what like corgi ! even though gas safe is now the top dog everyone seems to know whats what ! hasnt it always been the case that the general public know more about gas installations and whats required ie registered contractors than electrical installations ? Think its about time we all started a protest ? the public need to know whats required and just as important WHO NICEIC/ELECSA/NAPIT/ECA ETC ARE !
Regards
Kung.
:D

the public need to know whats required and just as important WHO NICEIC/ELECSA/NAPIT/ECA ETC ARE !

Its understandable the public are ignorant or confused.
'gas safe' does what it says really doesnt it. I'd be delighted to get behind something or somone to really push these bodies into public awareness and have them (a little) more enforced. i keep seeing builders vans with lists of what work they do including electrics and no registration logo etc on them!! what next do we have to grass them up, dont think i'd like to, as if it would make a difference.

How can we protect our own investment chaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
It´s quite understandable to think that the NIC want to "take over the world". I get the impression that many feel that they are the only body that counts as far as insurance companies and LA´s are concerned. But then who´s fault is that? NIC marketing appears to be streets ahead of the other 4 bodies - one could argue that they are doing what they should be doing whilst the ECA through ELECSA seem frustratingly reluctant to flex their muscles.

At least one of the other 4 best at least put their fists up - otherwise it could be too far down the road to" pull level".

I get the impression that many sparkies would rather not register with the NIC as they don´t like their superior attitude - but having the bottle to stay away from the "dark side" and the possible negative consequences of obtaining work is too risky - and therein lies the problem.

I was talking about the approved contractor bit rather than part P but interesting viewpoints

I've only recently qualified as a Domestic Installer, but have been involved in Telecomms and Data cabling for years. It seems that 'competent persons' pass all the exams and spend a lot of money to be street legal, but the general public have no idea that they should be employing them.

It's high time that the 'non-cowboys' got the reward for their diligence and outlay, by the Government educating the public as to why the law exists and the requirement to use qualified tradesmen for work in special areas. That way the good guys would get more work, and Joe Public would be much safer, which was, after all, the point of tightening up the law. Sometimes customers think that you're just trying to scare them when you explain their legal obligations, in order to charge more. No wonder really.

As things stand, the 'competent persons' are more likely to be penalized for wrong doing by their traceability, while the cowboys slip away unnoticed and usually untraceable. (Similar to the way the CSA operates)

A series of well made Public Information videos and media releases would help to spread the word. Why aren't the professional associations lobbying on our behalf?? They do pretty well out of the fees that we are duty-bound to pay.

Hello and welcome also Kernow1 ! What part of Berkshire ?
We are bound to get a gas safe registered person to install/replace ie work on gas installations or appliances etc where as electrical installs have their own rules and non qualified/non technical minded people can still do alot without really knowing what there doing eg minor etc it a bit like us being able to replace/install a gas fire or cooker etc but not a boiler ! corgi/gas safe got it sussed they say gas safe for any gas work to advoid confusion apart from say calor gas heater or welding bottles etc ! cant see why its not the same for ALL electrical work as well ! that would advoid ALL confusion for people ! i do understand there are people that are technical and can do work BUT what about installation testing ? and max loading etc etc ? these can all move the goal post for whats safe and whats not ! WE have to STILL test and issue minor works certs ! how can untechnical people know whats what rather than say install switch on (no tests etc !) it works ! jobs a gudden ! we've always been the PAY UP & SAY NOTHING crew ! its enough to make a shepheard wana f (be friendly to) his flock !
Regards
Kung.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to NIC Pre assessment in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net