Discuss NICEIC Domestic Installers incompetent to do EICRs? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Piratepete

I'm a NICEIC Domestic Installer but on bunging my postcode into NICEIC's 'Find an Electrician' page after ticking the EICR box, my company didn't show up.
NICEIC tells me that this is quite right and if I want to do EICRs on NICEIC forms and come up in a search I need to become an Approved Contractor (with all the extra expense and time that that involves!). I am however qualified to do EICRs on unbranded forms. What nonsense is this?

This just seems to be another money making racket!

Are my fellow Domestic Installers aware of this and is it the same whichever trade body (Napit, Elecsa etc) you're a member of?

Cheers

Pete

i know a plumber that does 'em. only problem is, you can't read the details for the dried up poo all over them.

Just read the sticky 'PIRs and Competent Persons'. I think that says it all! Just never thought about it - anyone can do them - could be a good source of beer money for my 95 year old dad! He's a poet (well he thinks he is)!

If you are doing EICR's on NICEIC forms they are expected to be of a high standard. Our NIC inspector goes through at least one of my EICR's on his annual visit with a fine tooth comb. Thats why only approved contractors can use the forms....not saying we are all perfect but those who maintain an approved contractor status are more likely to meet the required standard than a DI who could easily be a Electrical Trainee.....

If you are doing EICR's on NICEIC forms they are expected to be of a high standard. Our NIC inspector goes through at least one of my EICR's on his annual visit with a fine tooth comb. Thats why only approved contractors can use the forms....not saying we are all perfect but those who maintain an approved contractor status are more likely to meet the required standard than a DI who could easily be a Electrical Trainee.....

Pity the NICEIC and the other schemes don't go the coal face an see some of the shxt that their members are installing day in , day out.

I hope you're pulling my leg! Are you suggesting that a DI who is capable of filling in an EICR form off the IET website can't fill in the NICEIC form?
On yer bike!!! I don't use NIC forms for my installs anyway. Nobody has ever commented on it. I really don't think that being an Approved Contractor is proof of anything, especially if he's a Supervisor passing off electrical work installed by plumbers!

I hope you're pulling my leg! Are you suggesting that a DI who is capable of filling in an EICR form off the IET website can't fill in the NICEIC form?
On yer bike!!! I don't use NIC forms for my installs anyway. Nobody has ever commented on it. I really don't think that being an Approved Contractor is proof of anything, especially if he's a Supervisor passing off electrical work installed by plumbers!

I didnt say it was proof of anything....but the fact remains that the requirements to be an approved contractor are higher than to be a DI....many of whom have little experience and inadequate training.
Fact is there's more to an EICR than 'filling in a form'....there are plenty of DI's who can fill in either form perfectly well but cant do the actual test and inspection to an acceptable standard.
I'll repeat...our inspector is extremely thorough with my EICR's....any approved contractor who is not up to scratch on EICR's will get found out.

You may have had to have the 2391 twenty years ago,but the Niceic long ago ditched that requirement
To satisfy the entry criteria,a QS has to demonstrate skill in test and inspection only

They will accept the 2391 or the new 2392, if you hold neither,this is their requirement

For those Qualified Supervisors who are able to demonstrate their ability to inspect, test, verify, certify and report on the electrical
installations to the standard required, the requirement to have obtained the City & Guilds 2391 may be waived

Last edited:
I didnt say it was proof of anything....but the fact remains that the requirements to be an approved contractor are higher than to be a DI....many of whom have little experience and inadequate training.
Fact is there's more to an EICR than 'filling in a form'....there are plenty of DI's who can fill in either form perfectly well but cant do the actual test and inspection to an acceptable standard.
I'll repeat...our inspector is extremely thorough with my EICR's....any approved contractor who is not up to scratch on EICR's will get found out.

And then what??

The schemes need to take seriously feedback on installs from customers and other members then ACT ON THE INFORMATION. i.e go and look themselves .

ELECSA are the same, if you want to appear on their contractor search listing when EICR/PIR is selected you have to pay another additional exorbitant fee to get an EICR tick each year. Otherwise you just don't appear in the listing.

Reply to NICEIC Domestic Installers incompetent to do EICRs? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net