Discuss Part P Certificate not provided in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, desperately looking for some help/advice here. We’ve just undertaken a big home renovation using a builder who is a qualified electrician. We have hit some issues with the build work and are terminating contracts with some outstanding work and remediation of some plumbing issues. Problem is the builder/electrician has not provided Part P certification of his work. My question is whether I can force him to provide this and what recourse is there if he refuses to provide a Part P certificate of his own work?

If the builder agreed to provide Part P certification at the start of the work, then you could take him to court.
If not, then there is not a lot you can do.

Legally, it is you as the house holder who is responsible for notification.

The building control notification (part p cert) is usually done after the work is complete and an installation certificate issued, so this may not be forthcoming if the work is not complete.

This can be done by others after the fact, but is at the discretion of the local building control. Typically another electrician would perform an inspection and the resulting paperwork would be accepted by the building control dept.

For issues with the original contractor get in touch with their scheme and register a complaint. Get everything in writing and resort to trading standards if no joy.

If the builder agreed to provide Part P certification at the start of the work, then you could take him to court.
If not, then there is not a lot you can do.

Legally, it is you as the house holder who is responsible for notification.
Hi, thank you for your reply.
Yes Part P certification was agreed in the contract and that he would provide it. If he refuses can I get someone else to do the Part P Certification? Is there any trade body I can report him to or can his Part P licence be revoked if he fails to certify his work?

Friends had this issue after a builder built a very large extension

Basically half way through the build the builder started demanding extortionate amounts for extras so they all fell out and builder walked off the job with about 90% of the entire build money.
it all ended up very sour with the entire extension never being completed or signed off for anything

The home owner had to pay a new builder , gas safe plumber and part pee electrician to help them complete the job and get it all approved

To the tune of £50000 out of their own pockets

Think the whole saga is now going through the courts

But back to the OP yes you can employee a new electrician to complete the works and sign the job off

You may find trouble finding electricians willing to take over a half finished project and then give you certificates and partp notification for the job

I avoid jobs like this personally, you never really know the truth of whats gone on, its usually about money or bad workmanship, or both

And either is not a job you want to be left holding the baby with

I can't believe that part pee is what 13 years old now and we still don't have a proper procedure for signing of 'incomplete' jobs

Say I start a rewire or build and do 90% of the wiring and start to energise about 80% of the circuits then drop dead

Surely there must be a simple procedure with the scams for a scam reg sparks to be able to come in and test and 'sign off the job' ?

Hi,
Thank you for all your replies. The job is complete as far as electrics is concerned and we are living in the house. We have a dispute over some building finishes and also plumbing issues - but electrics complete. Issue is we do not want him to do any further building work here, but we DO want him to provide Part P certification. My question is what can we do if he refuses to provide this. Is he legally required to sign Part P? If he refuses can we complain to his trade body? Can we force him to sign off?

He may need to return to site to finalise all his testing.
Give him 8 days to provide certs and to notify building control
Thanks, that seems resonable but he has had 2 weeks to do that already. Happy to give more time but is there any sanction if he just refuses to return to site and sign off?

I think I’m right, but the electrical work will form part of the planning permission or buildings for the whole refurbishment, i.e a separate compliance certificate for the electrical work is not required. All you will need is a suitable electrical certificate.

I think I’m right, but the electrical work will form part of the planning permission or buildings for the whole refurbishment, i.e a separate compliance certificate for the electrical work is not required. All you will need is a suitable electrical certificate.

Won't this depend on what you paid for from the out set ?

Won't this depend on what you paid for from the out set ?

When someone applies for permission to build, whether is to just Building Regs or requires full planning permission, all of the work should be covered under that. When I had an extension done to a property, the Building Inspector was satisfied in seeing an EIC.

I would suggest the OP checks with his Building Control. Of course, if he is in dispute with the builder, an electrical compliance certificate, is the least of his worries.

Reply to Part P Certificate not provided in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock