Discuss reg to say 2 different size cables cant be used on one circuit if rcbo rated to lower cable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Alexking1

Trainee
Reaction score
Came across a cooker circuit with 10mm and 40A rcbo. Last leg was 6mm. Isolator to outlet. I downgraded to rcbo to 32A to accommodate the 6mm. Does the cable have to be the same throughout? If so what is the reg for this please. 🤔

Came across a cooker circuit with 10mm and 40A rcbo. Last leg was 6mm. Isolator to outlet. I downgraded to rcbo to 32A to accommodate the 6mm. Does the cable have to be the same throughout? If so what is the reg for this please. 🤔
No there isn't a reg requiring consistent cable throughout a circuit. (In fact 433.3 mentions the scenario of a reduction in CCC.)
If the 6 sq mm leg was clipped direct (when it can carry 47 amps before any further de-rating) it might have complied.

Basically 433.1.1 needs to be met for the whole circuit unless over-current protection can be legitimately omitted (see sections 433.2, 433.3 )

Not sure if theres a reg on it but it's fine to do that on a radial circuit as long as the protective device is the correct rating for the smaller cable, as you've done. What's the wattage of the oven? The cable might need to be changed if it needs to be on a 40 amp.

Not sure if theres a reg on it but it's fine to do that on a radial circuit as long as the protective device is the correct rating for the smaller cable, as you've done. What's the wattage of the oven? The cable might need to be changed if it needs to be on a 40 amp.
Total wattage 8215w. No socket at isolation switch. So with diversity 32A works.

No there isn't a reg requiring consistent cable throughout a circuit. (In fact 433.3 mentions the scenario of a reduction in CCC.)
If the 6 sq mm leg was clipped direct (when it can carry 47 amps before any further de-rating) it might have complied.

Basically 433.1.1 needs to be met for the whole circuit unless over-current protection can be legitimately omitted (see sections 433.2, 433.3 )
Thanks Tim. 👍🏼

Why did you change the RCBO to 32A?

No there is no requirement for the same size cable to be used throughout as long as all cables used have adequate fault protection and, if required, overcurrent protection.

All seems a bit over the top to me and even if it were a technical regs breach you have to look at common sense. One of the first scenarios when I was in college doing the 2391 20 odd years ago was to calculate the cable size for an electric shower. following the regs to the letter it needed to be 25mm cable, the tutor said "obviously thats a load of -------s because it wont fit into the terminals so always us your common sense." Which has stuck with me ever since.

Only yesterday I wired a point for an oven that wasn't on site yet and some single ovens nowadays come with a plug so in this instance we wire a 6mm to an outlet plate and wire a single socket next to it in a dual box to give the appliance installer options. I only use a short length of 2.5 for the socket because, well, its just a single socket.

Reply to reg to say 2 different size cables cant be used on one circuit if rcbo rated to lower cable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net