Discuss Safety shut off valve for boiler?? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, had a call out friday afternoon to assist a gas engineer to a boiler not working in a bank.
Job was to:

- get boiler working- DONE
- sleeve main Gas pipe through floor- being done tomorrow
- install bonding to Gas meter- DONE
- install SSOV to boiler ???

The boiler is rated at 100KW and has a D/P isolator right next to it, boiler is out the way up stairs in a cupboard.

Am i right in saying the SSOV should be integral within the boiler??

My gaffer seems to think i have to install a emergency stop switch, which sounds just plain daft to me.

Now looking at the wiring diagram on the front cover of the boiler i can see there is currently no shut off valve.

How would i wire such a valve??

Any help would be great as ive not much if any real experience with boilers and the like other than E7 and F.C.U for supplies to boilers.

Thanks in advance

You might be better off on a plumbing forum?
I'm not aware that a SSOV has to be integral to the boiler, I've seen many installed on the supply pipework.
EM stops are often stipulated for gas appliances in commercial premises, whether there's a requirement for them or not, I don't know?

It might well be that it needs a emergency stop installed thinking about it! a inspection was carried out and picked up on the points listed in my first post. I am more than likely swaying towards the emergency stop although there is a isolator 0.5meters away from the boiler.

Was just seeing if any one else had a view in the matter. Thanks for your reply spinlondon.

Si, Similar to Spin, i would say that the SSOV goes on the supply pipe via an Emergency Stop button. Have fitted a couple but not seen that many on commercial premises so dont think its manditory, quite often see them in kitchens where an airpressure switch is connected to the fans.

It would need a gas enginner to fit the valve but the wiring for the emergency stop is straight forward. Do you know where they want the emergency stop? You say there is an isolator next to the boiler, do you mean an FCU? Their point could be that the emergency stop would isolate the gas, if required, not just turn the power off to the boiler!

It's not a fcu feeding it, it's a old memshield metal clad isolator with old bs3036 rewireable fuse as the protective device.

Thats fine as a means of electrical isolation, but i think they are meaning the gas isolation. The gas valve will simply be a normally closed valve, so you apply power to open it and let the gas through, so wire an emergency stop button using the normally closed contacts, with the feed going through it to the valve, when the stop is pushed, the valve loses power and closes. If you are fitting one, get a switch the latches when it pressed - i think most do now - where you turn them to reset it

Would definiteley reckon they are looking for a gas solenoid to cut off the gas supply to the boiler, Not a lot of point turning the power off to it in an emergency , unless its an all electric boiler. They may also insist the boiler be linked to the fire alarm in which case an interface will be needed to work with your EM stop sytem to shut the gas down in case of fire.

I would double check their requirements before you install something they do not want and does not cover their needs.

Nick

Lovely guys, great advice from you all, superb forum this. Getting to chat with guys from all asspects of our trade. Only been a sparks for 10 years so as the saying goes. You learn something new every day

Reply to Safety shut off valve for boiler?? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net