Discuss schedule of inspections in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pushrod

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ukpablo
"Double Insulation – Anything double insulated, i.e light fittings etc. These may also have metallic parts which must not be connected to earth. used to prevent the appearance of a dangerous voltage on the accessible parts of electrical equipment through a fault in the basic insulation
Reinforced insulation –similar to DI above - is a single insulation layer providing the same protection as double insultion... normally factory applied, often used in some classII equipment."

Found the above on a search could anyone tell me if swa is an example of reinforced insulation? cheers:)

yes mate as far as i am aware at least the tutor reckoned it was on the 17th course as i have it marked on the example eic in the back of bs7671
but others may know better

Last edited:
cheers brucelee, i was told that last night as well during my 2391 practical - must admit that i had my doubts as the armouring is not insulation and i thought it was to do with accessories anyway - i suppose they could be meaning the other extra layers in the cable - wonder if hi tuff cable is also considered reinforced insulation :confused:

Did you ever start your L3 2330?

hi mate I wasnt sure but the tutor said it was
i tried to get on 2330 lv3 at warrington college but no one dropped out and the course remained full
i have tried C&G and bury college where i did 2391 but with no luck I have a number for a external verifier to ask but as its ending and most of the courses have started its not looking likely
I have also asked about the new 2357 at bury and got some contact details for the main electrical tutor to see if they are running it
But to get on the new 2357 I will have to be working in the game so it looks as if it will just have to wait until i set up first or a job which is probably unlikely without 2330
C&G are i cant say or i will get done lol for changing it and were does that leave adult learners who are trying to get full qualifications
tutor who i did 2391 with said i just eeded to do nVQ2356 but they not taking more candidates and as i havent started up yet wot be able to complete the required jobs for the portfolio so not good and at a loss with it all mate

oh and as for HI tuff not sure mate as i have never used it or seen it lol

Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ukpablo
"Double Insulation – Anything double insulated, i.e light fittings etc. These may also have metallic parts which must not be connected to earth. used to prevent the appearance of a dangerous voltage on the accessible parts of electrical equipment through a fault in the basic insulation
Reinforced insulation –similar to DI above - is a single insulation layer providing the same protection as double insultion... normally factory applied, often used in some classII equipment."

Found the above on a search could anyone tell me if swa is an example of reinforced insulation? cheers:)

I'm struggling with this, first of all, the armouring will be earthed, even when it's not serving as a CPC but as an exposed conductive part.

If it doesn't meet the definition of an exposed conductive part, why does BS7671 stipulate the earthing of the armouring in all scenarios?

Then there is 412.2.4.1 Note 2.

I'm struggling with this, first of all, the armouring will be earthed, even when it's not serving as a CPC but as an exposed conductive part.

If it doesn't meet the definition of an exposed conductive part, why does BS7671 stipulate the earthing of the armouring in all scenarios?

Then there is 412.2.4.1 Note 2.

they hint at things and then stop short of giving you the info you are after!!

Could it be that the part considered to be the reinforced insulation is the layer under the armouring and so is not traversed by it :confused: I bet a ***** lawyer would have problems understanding BS7671 - why can't it be written in plain english :mad:

(Have just checked the niceic learning guide to the 17th ed and an illustration in that suggests that is the case, also says there is more info about it in GN5 - unfortunately i don't have that) At least i have discovered that equipment does include wiring systems!

Last edited by a moderator:
also says there is more info about it in GN5 - unfortunately i don't have that)

Mate the IET are doing a free e book trial which includes BS 7671, All the guidance notes and the osg available for 30 days all these can be printed once downloaded.

Get it here

Guidance Note 5 reads:

This measure requires equipment of particular construction: only equipment with double or reinforced insulation (Class II equipment) or equipment of equivalent construction (declared as equivalent in the product standard).
It permits only the use of equipment which has no exposed-conductive-parts that can be made live in the event of a fault and thus cause danger.
The measure is generally applicable to individual items of equipment such as switchgear and controlgear assemblies, luminaires and current-using equipment, and to domestic appliances.
(Guidance Note 5: Protection Against Electric Shock, 5th Edition)

Guidance Note 5 reads:

This measure requires equipment of particular construction: only equipment with double or reinforced insulation (Class II equipment) or equipment of equivalent construction (declared as equivalent in the product standard).
It permits only the use of equipment which has no exposed-conductive-parts that can be made live in the event of a fault and thus cause danger.
The measure is generally applicable to individual items of equipment such as switchgear and controlgear assemblies, luminaires and current-using equipment, and to domestic appliances.
(Guidance Note 5: Protection Against Electric Shock, 5th Edition)

So what is your gut feeling - swa is reinforced insulation or not?

Reply to schedule of inspections in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net