Search the forum,

Discuss Surely there must be a Reg against this?! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well maybe...maybe not....if you use 6.0mm 3c XPLE SWA the sheath has a copper equivalent of 7.39mm....not big enough for a 10mm main bond if the supply is TNCS.....

Ah man, forgot it's a 6mm & not a 10mm! I have to run a 10mm earth then so be it, I'll just knock the extra of what I'll charge so that they don't have to pay more. Nothing will be seen cable wise anyway as it will have a protective cover over it & then go underground through ducting. Your username gave me a wee chuckle by the way! lol.

If you want for the regs on that conduit, look for conduit support spacings, looks like you have about 2 m run with no supports(no compliant), then white pvc is not good in sunlight(not sure about regs on this one), and then I see this conduit being a good support for some numpty doing pullups.

If you want for the regs on that conduit, look for conduit support spacings, looks like you have about 2 m run with no supports(no compliant), then white pvc is not good in sunlight(not sure about regs on this one), and then I see this conduit being a good support for some numpty doing pullups.

I think you find that is part of the OSG and not the regulations

Looks like 2" waste pipe to me, a totally different animal.

1 more question regarding this damn garage again!! Right carried out the swa/ducting plan. Obviously he'd already measured off the 10mm earth so I had just run it in with my swa, anyway the garage door has a steel frame down each side, bolted to the wall, sitting on very small wooden stilts then onto concrete, this is going to need bonded I assume but the 10mm earth only goes a far as the garage cu, is the bond to be continuous from the house or is from the garage cu to the steel adequate? Last question on this subject, I promise.lol.

Not read entire thread,so sorry if this is a numpty question,but with bonding in mind.

A new 6.omm swa has been run with an additional seperate 10 mm earth cable for bonding ?

Why did you not just upsize the swa to 10mm ?

Not read entire thread,so sorry if this is a numpty question,but with bonding in mind.

A new 6.omm swa has been run with an additional seperate 10 mm earth cable for bonding ?

Why did you not just upsize the swa to 10mm ?

Pretty sure if it was a 10mm SWA would still need a seperate earth for bonding no? Unless used the armour as an earth I suppose. Also the guy is tight as anything, every penny a prisoner so he wasn't wanting anything he didn't have to.

A 10mm 3 core would have been approx £1-50 per meter extra cost compared to 6.0mm 2 core and negate the need for a seperate earth bonding cable

Have you checked to see if the frame needs bonding?

I'm not actually 100% sure it needs bonding as it's sitting on small bits of wood each side, it's not sunk into concrete into the ground so it's not a clear path to ground, although dampness etc could change this. One of my mates is home from the rigs next week going to have a look to see what he thinks, he's a good bit more experienced than I am. My normal line of work until recently was mainly maintenance you see, not many new installations. Is there a test I can do to see if it needs bonding.

1 more question regarding this damn garage again!! Right carried out the swa/ducting plan. Obviously he'd already measured off the 10mm earth so I had just run it in with my swa, anyway the garage door has a steel frame down each side, bolted to the wall, sitting on very small wooden stilts then onto concrete, this is going to need bonded I assume but the 10mm earth only goes a far as the garage cu, is the bond to be continuous from the house or is from the garage cu to the steel adequate? Last question on this subject, I promise.lol.
nothing to say that the 10mm bonding you have extended.....cant also be the PME that you export....in other words....just take the 10mm into the sub boards MET....then out to extranious....

Thanks Glennspark.

Regarding bonding, Am I right in thinking that by getting my wandering lead & going between the steelwork and the met, then after pulling the fuse, if I do an IR this values should tell me if it needs it or not, if I can remember correctly it's anything over 22k or 23k ohms means it doesn't need bonded??

Reply to Surely there must be a Reg against this?! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock