Discuss Tips for general "DIY" aspects of electrical work in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am training in domestic electrics and employed working in a commercial basis on D.C systems for telecommunications infrastructure. Because of this, I don't have much time to actually get experience in certain aspects relating to electrical work such as cable chasing in a domestic setting, lifting floorboards, fitting of socket back boxes etc.

So I'm wondering what your best tips and invaluable tools are to making the mundane jobs that you come across due to electrical installations are in order to give myself a bit more knowledge.

Thanks!

Got your own place yet?
That's the best place to start. Get a dump and do it up.
You'll gather the tools you need as you go along and learn the solutions to problems you'll find in your work.

A good basic tool kit and how to use them. A good masonry drill and bits.

I recently bought a battery powered LED work lamp. Some bright spark is forever turning the power off and it's been a good little helper.

Ok here's a basic question based on having had an extension built a few years back (experienced spark did a full rewire). The new upstairs flooring now consists of large chipboards. What is the best / neatest way of cutting, gaining access and refitting? I take it that all new builds these days have chipboard rather than floor boards?

Got your own place yet?
That's the best place to start. Get a dump and do it up.
You'll gather the tools you need as you go along and learn the solutions to problems you'll find in your work.

A good basic tool kit and how to use them. A good masonry drill and bits.

Get the keys in a little over two weeks! Not quite a dump, but there is definitely work to be done.

The two main aspects I'm apprehensive to do without any experience is removing floorboards & cutting into/chasing down plasterboard and the likes.

Get yourself a Stanley Wunderbar or similar, great for lifting boards, removing nails, prising off architraves etc. Used mine the other day to open my front door when it somehow got wedged shut, with the wife inside totally panicking and overreacting.

Also - one of the most versatile tools in your kit will be a MULTI TOOL.
once you have used one you will wonder how you ever did without it.

dewalt_315_osc_tool_500.jpg

As you see I had a bit of a problem there lol.

There is nothing to say it has loaded and no way I can find to delete.

What is the best / neatest way of cutting, gaining access and refitting? I take it that all new builds these days have chipboard rather than floor boards?

Hi Alan, I use a small circular saw set right at board depth. Careful marking out and cutting means I can often use the same piece to go back after boxing in the hole with studding, which I glue and screw.

Or you can buy a circular cutter and fixing kit , but the previous method is cheaper lol.

I never have sheets used for flooring. Always pay a bit more and have proper floor boards laid.

Ok here's a basic question based on having had an extension built a few years back (experienced spark did a full rewire). The new upstairs flooring now consists of large chipboards. What is the best / neatest way of cutting, gaining access and refitting? I take it that all new builds these days have chipboard rather than floor boards?

Like Ruston said, one of these ...

I recently bought one of these:

Very handy - sure not cheap but its already saved me lots of time lifting floor and loft boards (plus some DIY at home!)

Makita HS301DWAE.jpg

The coke can is to give a size comparison!

Also - one of the most versatile tools in your kit will be a MULTI TOOL.
once you have used one you will wonder how you ever did without it.

View attachment 34257

View attachment 34257

View attachment 34258
As you see I had a bit of a problem there lol.

There is nothing to say it has loaded and no way I can find to delete.
One of the most used bits of kit I own I use the cordless version and it runs for ages on a 4ah battery just a great bit of kit IMO with sharp blades it makes effortless cutting of floorboards

get a plumber to cut the floorboards. guaranteed the won't fit back, creak forever, and probably collapse when you jump off the wardrobe paying sexy games with 'er indoors.

Buy a pair of these ck wire strippers, best £20 you will ever spend!

View attachment 34264

View attachment 34265

Coincidentally the exact pair I bought when I was getting myself the basic tools together. Never see the point in going for the cheapest so ended up with these.

I recently bought one of these:

Very handy - sure not cheap but its already saved me lots of time lifting floor and loft boards (plus some DIY at home!)

View attachment 34266

The coke can is to give a size comparison!

I think this may well be next on the list of power tools, especially as I'll be owning my first home in a fortnight!

Reply to Tips for general "DIY" aspects of electrical work in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net