Discuss Todays EICR - opinions on codes please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

Been doing an EICR today and would value some opinions please:

Todays EICR - opinions on codes please Socket in bedroom near sink - EletriciansForums.net

The socket is well under 3m from the sink (yes I realise its not a bath or shower) so is this a code at all? Its actually a spur from a double which is in the cupboard so I could simply remove it.

Todays EICR - opinions on codes please Kitchen socket - EletriciansForums.net

The right edge of the socket is about 250mm from the left hand edge of the sink - code 2?

Todays EICR - opinions on codes please Unsupported 2.5mm 1 - EletriciansForums.netTodays EICR - opinions on codes please Unsupported 2.5mm 2 - EletriciansForums.net

These pictures show an unsupported cable coming from another flats' window upstairs and down the wall by the "garden" area immediately outside the flat I was inspecting. Clearly this isn't part of the flat I was inspecting and is in a "communal area" so I technically can't code it and I was planning on a "written" observation.

Thoughts....

Thanks

pic1. no code. pic 2. code 2 or 3. pic3. observation. but what are those external cables? presume they are LV. (mains)

Last edited:
the socket in the bedroom is acceptable as it is not a room containing a bath or shower
the socket by the sink i would say is dependant on the rest of the installation ie has it got RCD protection, if it has than at only 50mm outside the building regs i would say code 3
as for the outside cable if it isnt part of what you are inspecting then no comment, if however i was testing the flat it came from then that would be a different matter

the socket in the bedroom is acceptable as it is not a room containing a bath or shower
the socket by the sink i would say is dependant on the rest of the installation ie has it got RCD protection, if it has than at only 50mm outside the building regs i would say code 3
as for the outside cable if it isnt part of what you are inspecting then no comment, if however i was testing the flat it came from then that would be a different matter

There aren't any RCD's currently but a new CU will be fitted along with bonding soon!

If RCD protected:
1 - No code. Where does the 3M distance come from? Only heard of 300mm with regards to sinks, its not a special location.
2 - C3, although not aware of any reg in BS7671 it breaches?

3 - No code, certainly worth an observation though.

Don't think i would code or even write down the first one, the second I would give a C2 as the draining board IMO I still class as the sink and the third well I want to give a 2 but don't think more than a C3 being unsuported and IMO require addition protection (tube/trunking etc)

The safety council guide has all the answers.
1. No code
2. Socket mounted where it can be damaged, you'll find the correct wording in the guide. code 3.
3. No code, nothing to do with the installation you're testing.

item 2 could warrant a C2 though.danger from water splashes. i would give it a C2 or C3,

Reaaly the codes now are self explanitory if it could pose a danger for instance if the unsupported cable was chopping in half whilst trimming the hedge it could be classed as potentially dangerous, as there is no rcd protection on the socket by the draining board there could be a risk of a kettle ending up in the sink whats the first thing you'll do is get it out so potentially dangerouse so again Code 2 and no code for the socket near a sink as has been explained in previouse posts

Reply to Todays EICR - opinions on codes please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock