Discuss When will you start back working following the lockdown in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

@davesparks

I've just copied and pasted this. Updates dated 27/04

Tradespeople and working in people’s homes
You are a tradesperson carrying out essential repairs and maintenance in people’s homes. You can continue work, providing that you are well and have no symptoms. You should notify all clients in advance of your arrival.

On entry to the home you should wash your hands using soap and water for 20 seconds. You should wash your hands regularly, particularly after blowing your nose, sneezing or coughing, and when leaving the property. Where facilities to wash hands are not available, hand sanitiser should be used, and you should carry this with you at all times.

You should maintain a safe distance (at least 2 metres) from any household occupants at all times, and ensure good ventilation in the area where you are working, including opening the window.

No work should be carried out in any household which is isolating or where an individual is being shielded, unless your work is to remedy a direct risk to the safety of the household, such as emergency plumbing or repair.

No work should be carried out by a tradesperson who has coronavirus symptoms, however mild.

Source url

@davesparks

I've just copied and pasted this. Updates dated 27/04

Tradespeople and working in people’s homes
You are a tradesperson carrying out essential repairs and maintenance in people’s homes. You can continue work, providing that you are well and have no symptoms. You should notify all clients in advance of your arrival.

On entry to the home you should wash your hands using soap and water for 20 seconds. You should wash your hands regularly, particularly after blowing your nose, sneezing or coughing, and when leaving the property. Where facilities to wash hands are not available, hand sanitiser should be used, and you should carry this with you at all times.

You should maintain a safe distance (at least 2 metres) from any household occupants at all times, and ensure good ventilation in the area where you are working, including opening the window.

No work should be carried out in any household which is isolating or where an individual is being shielded, unless your work is to remedy a direct risk to the safety of the household, such as emergency plumbing or repair.

No work should be carried out by a tradesperson who has coronavirus symptoms, however mild.

Source url

Yes, I've seen that now, but if you look here Staying at home and away from others (social distancing) - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others
In paragraph 7 it has very different advice.

We know that your quote is the more recent advice, and the most sensible to follow, but they really should be keeping the advice the same across the whole gov.uk site

Yes, I've seen that now, but if you look here Staying at home and away from others (social distancing) - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others
In paragraph 7 it has very different advice.

We know that your quote is the more recent advice, and the most sensible to follow, but they really should be keeping the advice the same across the whole gov.uk site
Essential repairs are essentially given as an example of works carried out in people's homes.

However there is absolutely no prohibition in law in carrying out any types of works in someone's home - regardless of whether these are essential repairs or not. So you are correct in this.

It's deeply unfortunate that they have decided to issue guidance which contradicts the law - I believe that is wholly wrong of them. But I would imagine that very few would wish to carry out non-essential works in someone's home at this time - in spite of it being completely legal to do so.

Essential repairs are essentially given as an example of works carried out in people's homes.

However there is absolutely no prohibition in law in carrying out any types of works in someone's home - regardless of whether these are essential repairs or not. So you are correct in this.

It's deeply unfortunate that they have decided to issue guidance which contradicts the law - I believe that is wholly wrong of them. But I would imagine that very few would wish to carry out non-essential works in someone's home at this time - in spite of it being completely legal to do so.

I'm not talking about the legalities of any of this, just the guidance published on gov.uk

The guidance I linked to states, as you say, that any work can be carried out in a person's home.
The guidance Andy quoted, also from gov.uk, states that only essential repairs and maintainence should be carried out.

As for the law, yes there is no law relating to covid 19 which prevents you working in people's homes, the guidance would say 'must' where it says 'should' etc if there were.

It's all -------s!
i did 2 "essential" repairs last week. all the "criteria" were met...except...how do I know if I have the virus, if i am showing/feeling no signs/symptoms? Maybe i inadvertently carried covid into those homes?
Plus, what do the police know about what is "essential" and what is not? That's not their job. Clearly, taking a cake to someone is hardly essential, but if you have a van load of test gear and tools, they can hardly charge you with non-essential travel, unless they follow you to the job and watch what you do.
It's largely common sense, and adherence to the proper spirit of the rules...I expect most on here know what that means.
It's equally clear that NOBODY knows where this is going yet...any relaxation will have to be decided by best judgement on available evidence...
Incidentally, when a local Costa coffee opened it's doors yesterday the queue of cars was unbelievable...you may have seen it on TV? How can driving out to a coffee shop be considered essential?
Wine bar maybe...

What ‘prohibition in law’ are you referring to?

Ive read some of the Act, its quite long and deals with many things, but I don’t think, I might be wrong, that deals with, in detail in working in people’s homes. Each country in the UK it’s broadly the same, but each has its own regulations (things might be different in Ireland). But there is the guidance on working in people’s homes. If tradespersons and clients choose to ignore, then they may suffer the consequences, whatever that might be.

The police have certain powers, one of which is leaving the place where you live without reasonable excuse. Installing a new circuit, for an indoor sauna, for a domestic client would not be essential IMO, and therefore the travel to & from there, also not essential.

Currently the guidance is only to work in people’s homes, for essential repairs & maintenance. Working in an empty premise, such as a warehouse, would not fall foul of this guidance IMO.

The premise where I work, has stopped all contractors entering, save for emergency repairs. I’ve have been given a letter by my employer, stating my presence in their work place as essential. Some have already had to show their letter to police to prove their travel (to & from work) is essential.

I understand how difficult it is financially, because of the lockdown, where their ones work is dedicated to the domestic area. But the guidance is there for a reason.

Of course this might change soon, because the majority of the population have been adhering to the guidance, and the virus is being beaten.

The guidance Andy quoted, also from gov.uk, states that only essential repairs and maintainence should be carried out.
It appears the guidance Andy quoted is only guidance for an example scenario:

Overview

This is a list of tailored advice for different scenarios as an example of how social distancing and other measures might be implemented by employers in England to help protect their workforce and customers from coronavirus while still continuing to trade.
These are not intended to be comprehensive or to represent every business’s situation, but are illustrative examples.

They all use the words “essential maintenance and repair” suggesting that the electrical installation is existing and workers have to attend to either fix it, test it or otherwise make sure it’s still working as it should.
Doesn’t say anything about new installations
However. Empty premises, no face to face contact... must be safer than standing in queue for Tesco’s.
We are all bending the rules a little here and there.... I go out at least 3 times a day to exercise instead of just once. Walking the dog.... is that against the rules?....

They are talking now of lifting some of the restrictions, which will just cause confusion IMO now that we are used to this.

What ‘prohibition in law’ are you referring to?

Ive read some of the Act, its quite long and deals with many things, but I don’t think, I might be wrong, that deals with, in detail in working in people’s homes. Each country in the UK it’s broadly the same, but each has its own regulations (things might be different in Ireland). But there is the guidance on working in people’s homes. If tradespersons and clients choose to ignore, then they may suffer the consequences, whatever that might be.

The police have certain powers, one of which is leaving the place where you live without reasonable excuse. Installing a new circuit, for an indoor sauna, for a domestic client would not be essential IMO, and therefore the travel to & from there, also not essential.

Currently the guidance is only to work in people’s homes, for essential repairs & maintenance. Working in an empty premise, such as a warehouse, would not fall foul of this guidance IMO.

The premise where I work, has stopped all contractors entering, save for emergency repairs. I’ve have been given a letter by my employer, stating my presence in their work place as essential. Some have already had to show their letter to police to prove their travel (to & from work) is essential.

I understand how difficult it is financially, because of the lockdown, where their ones work is dedicated to the domestic area. But the guidance is there for a reason.

Of course this might change soon, because the majority of the population have been adhering to the guidance, and the virus is being beaten.
I stated NO position in law. So I wasn't claiming that there was one.

In the south of Ireland there is a stipulation in regulations about emergency call-out only for electrical to homes and businesses but that only applies there. That was until the 12th April but currently is in place now until the 18th May as far as I can tell.

The economic carnage will be severe.

I stated NO position in law. So I wasn't claiming that there was one.

I was just replying to what you posted;

’However there is absolutely no prohibition in law in carrying out any types of works in someone's home - regardless of whether these are essential repairs or not. So you are correct in this’.

’It's deeply unfortunate that they have decided to issue guidance which contradicts the law - I believe that is wholly wrong of them’.

Perhaps you were referring to Ireland.

I was just replying to what you posted;

’However there is absolutely no prohibition in law in carrying out any types of works in someone's home - regardless of whether these are essential repairs or not. So you are correct in this’.

’It's deeply unfortunate that they have decided to issue guidance which contradicts the law - I believe that is wholly wrong of them’.

Perhaps you were referring to Ireland.
I think it's very clear what I stated. There isn't a prohibition in law (which you accept is the case). However my point was they shouldn't issue guidance which confuses this.

An example is Boris claiming that it was a "rule" (his words) that you could only go out for one form of exercise per day.

In law I can exercise as many times per day as I wish. (Wales I believe have since legislated for only exercising once per day, but everywhere else his statement is wholly false.)

Jonathan Sumption alluded to all this in his remarks about Derbyshire Police a number of weeks ago.

Although this is a sidestep, we must not lose sight of the powers granted by parliament to police and others. There are some very questionable powers granted which may infringe on our sovereign rights. Just a slight note of caution, it is not within the British peoples habit to blindly agree/bow to the PTB on any matter. Where it makes sense, fine. But look at social distancing and packed tube trains or certain religious bodies free to congregate while other (esp. Christian) are not allowed and are prosecuted for doing so. These matters need careful scrutiny and monitoring. The rule of law must prevail exercised without fear or favour and it is not seen to be doing so. I refer to a more international scale of this than particularly Britain alone.
[automerge]1588595120[/automerge]

Although this is a sidestep, we must not lose sight of the powers granted by parliament to police and others. There are some very questionable powers granted which may infringe on our sovereign rights. Just a slight note of caution, it is not within the British peoples habit to blindly agree/bow to the PTB on any matter. Where it makes sense, fine. But look at social distancing and packed tube trains or certain religious bodies free to congregate while other (esp. Christian) are not allowed and are prosecuted for doing so. These matters need careful scrutiny and monitoring. The rule of law must prevail exercised without fear or favour and it is not seen to be doing so. I refer to a more international scale of this than particularly Britain alone.
I firmly believe that most of these laws enacted throughout most of the world are unconstitutional, illegal, null and void. It is extremely difficult to see how they can possibly be lawful in many of the countries where they have been enacted. Heads will roll for this when their reckoning comes. Of this I have no doubt.

. Some have already had to show their letter to police to prove their travel (to & from work) is essential.

As I mentioned earlier, there are two guidance documents on gov.uk currently, one says essential repairs and maintainenece only in people's homes, the other clearly allows all work in people's homes.

There are two guidance documents currently published on the gov.uk website which contradict each other.

I doubt the police could actually do anything at all if they didn't have a letter with them, apart from maybe a condescending talk.

I think it's very clear what I stated. There isn't a prohibition in law (which you accept is the case). However my point was they shouldn't issue guidance which confuses this.

An example is Boris claiming that it was a "rule" (his words) that you could only go out for one form of exercise per day.

In law I can exercise as many times per day as I wish. (Wales I believe have since legislated for only exercising once per day, but everywhere else his statement is wholly false.)

Jonathan Sumption alluded to all this in his remarks about Derbyshire Police a number of weeks ago.

It relies on the common sense of most people. It may not be a legal law, but it is a guidance 'rule' to only go out once a day for exercise. There is no doubt in the intention of it as far as I'm concerned, and I'm certainly not going to try and pick faults with the wording of things like this, despite me being known for being a bit pedantic on some things!

The Coronavirus Act 2020, I suspect has been sat on a shelf somewhere as a contingency for things like this. Not ever aspect will be written into such an emergency Act. Things like the Theft Act have evolved, changed and alter over the years. Hopefully the CA will be short lived, before its removed.

As its a newly convened one, it will not cover every single circumstance, that the great British public feel to challenge it with. Thats why there has been guidance for the police on how to use it, and similarly how the public should follow it. If this thing continues for sometime, then eventually someone will end up in court, for perhaps exercising as many times as they see fit in a day, as an example. It will then be for the Court to decide whether the Act specifies exercise should be restricted to once a day or not, and then set a precedent, to which either side might appeal. After which the final decision might be amended into that Act. Lets hope this doesn't last that long for that to happen.

What I don't understand, is peoples thought processes, where they think its important to isolate themselves in their homes, not having friends or family to visit or visit them, following the Government guidance. But then see it quite reasonable to have a bunch of tradespersons in their homes, to carry out work that is not essential. I really think those people should have a rethink of what they are doing.

Lets remember people are dying of this virus, and a lot more would of died if the guidance had not been followed by the majority.
[automerge]1588607857[/automerge]
As I mentioned earlier, there are two guidance documents on gov.uk currently, one says essential repairs and maintainenece only in people's homes, the other clearly allows all work in people's homes.

There are two guidance documents currently published on the gov.uk website which contradict each other.

I doubt the police could actually do anything at all if they didn't have a letter with them, apart from maybe a condescending talk.

The one you refer to (para 7 is deleted now) mentions repairs and maintenance only. Do people really need that defined further? It also provides links within that document, to the final guidance on 'Trades persons working in peoples home' similar to the ducument linked by Andy.

Again, do people really need to be told whether Tradespersons should allowed or not in their homes to install a new kitchen (for example), when they've spent the best part of 6 weeks, isolating themselves from friends and family. I could say they can't be that dense, but then nothing surprises me about the great British public.

There's been a few FPN handed out already, and I suspect some being questioned about their reason for travel. I've a letter, which I keep with me.
[automerge]1588608400[/automerge]

Can't comment on the irregularity religious bodies etc, but these powers (temporally I hope) have been granted to help stop the spread of the virus (measures advised by medical practitioners). There have been the odd over zealous instances, but in general its the odd few idiots who just aren't getting the seriousness of this matter, who are getting the enforcement.

Lastly, I'm sorry if I'm getting boring now, but people are dying of this virus, not necessarily the old or the vulnerable. It kills more than the flu, and is preventable if the guidance, at the moment is followed. Don't take it into your own hands, or you might unnecessarily infect someone or your own loved ones.

Last edited:
I do not think there is any clear and unambiguous analysis of the 30k deaths. To say all deaths are due to coronovirus as if all other diseases have stopped is preposterous. There are as many versions of the "true" death toll as deaths out there. Don't misunderstand me I am not one for taking risks but I am one for analysing information and statistics and judging the voracity of them. I cannot find any certain picture of the matter re coronavirus deaths. We hear such as 86% of deaths are associated with pre-existing conditions and death certificates are showing they all died of coronavirus whereas this is simply not true they died with coronavirus maybe more like the truth. There is not even any clear non contradictory guidance for crying out loud! As stated the powers granted to the state are draconian to say the least of it. I am as much concerned with this as Covid19. Don't let the "watch this hand, watch this hand" technique blind you to what else is happening.

Reply to When will you start back working following the lockdown in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock