Discuss White armored cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

djelectric

I briefly visited my uncles house the other day as hes asked me to install an outdoor socket in his back garden. I noticed some light fittings installed in the garden, fed using what appears to be white flex.. its all very neatly done, but was curious about the flex as it runs along a wall where i feel it is prone to being damaged.. I had a closer look and it seems to be armoured (or very very rigid when i felt it). Almost like MI cable!

I have never come across white armored cable before and cannot find anything similar (online at least). Was going to enquire in the wholesalers over the weekend.

Has anyone else seen or used this before? Or am i mistaking it for a certain type of (very) rigid flex..

Thanks

Are you sure its not MICC with a white sheath - the glands would give you a clue on that, there are a multitude of cable variations out there that most never come across and are not generally stocked by your average wholesalers.

Without more info, I can albeit speculate as to which of many possibilities it could be, although strange to be white as these tend not to be UV tolerant although like you say its not something you seem to have come across yourself so could be a special.

Are you sure its not MICC with a white sheath - the glands would give you a clue on that, there are a multitude of cable variations out there that most never come across and are not generally stocked by your average wholesalers.

Without more info, I can albeit speculate as to which of many possibilities it could be, although strange to be white as these tend not to be UV tolerant although like you say its not something you seem to have come across yourself so could be a special.

Could be MICC with a sheath as it does feel armored but i could be mistaken..

Aesthetically it looks good, and theyve used AP7 clips too, thats why im inquiring as id like to use it myself in the future. Will have a propper look when i go over to fit the socket and let you know what it is once i know. Thanks

From the Spec it would appear it is suitable for outdoor use; Page 2

(https://04646a9cf351cc0d3888-b8b406...c32d2131e4ef3e00a86012ba7aff97.pdf?1397744696)

FP200 Gold should be installed in accordance with BS7671 / IETWiring Regulations and/or other appropriate regulations or codes.
For outdoor installation use white sheathed cable, red sheath requires additional suitable UV protection.
Ideal for surface, tray, direct burial in plaster or other methods that benefit from a dressable product.

Last edited:
It would appear so, like I say, its common for white not to be UV tolerant and the Spec on the CEF site made no mention of outdoor or UV protection but always best to confirm. There are quite a few brands out there and not every one has the same outersheath thus suitability would vary.

Last edited:
I briefly visited my uncles house the other day as hes asked me to install an outdoor socket in his back garden. I noticed some light fittings installed in the garden, fed using what appears to be white flex.. its all very neatly done, but was curious about the flex as it runs along a wall where i feel it is prone to being damaged.. I had a closer look and it seems to be armoured (or very very rigid when i felt it). Almost like MI cable!

I have never come across white armored cable before and cannot find anything similar (online at least). Was going to enquire in the wholesalers over the weekend.

Has anyone else seen or used this before? Or am i mistaking it for a certain type of (very) rigid flex..

Thanks
how was the cable terminated? did it have shrouds over the ends or was it stuffers?

could it be hituff? ive heard that is quite rigid.

Last edited:
without seeing any pics., it's anybody's guess as to what it is.could be bell wire in plastic plumbing pipe for all we know.

Reply to White armored cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net