Discuss Window Actuators - All 4 Have Stopped Working! *FIXED* in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Folks,

Own house (so a bit embarrassing).

I've got 4 x TOPP ACK42 (AKA Teleflex MAC41) window/skylight openers which open 4 x UPVC top-hung windows via a toggle switch. They've been working for 2 years but have ALL suddenly stopped.

I've checked power to each unit and also any connections on the FSU and toggle switch. I've also wired each one separately....no luck so far. They 'click' when the open/close switch toggles but the chain mechanism doesn't work.

Anyone know anything about these beasts? They're ÂŁ150 each so don't want to replace them!

Any ideas???

Ta

Last edited:
Re: Window Actuators - All 4 Have Stopped Working!

I know nothing about them but due to the extreme temps we've had (for Britain) is it possible they have becme seized by drying out or swelling.

I know nothing about them but due to the extreme temps we've had (for Britain) is it possible they have becme seized by drying out or swelling.

I did wonder if they'd become seized actually. I took one apart yesterday and it all seemed to function mechanically. Can't vouch for the motor though. Wondered if it might be undercurrent but it all tests ok. Baffled.

unusual for all 4 to fail simultaneously. could be a common poor connection, breaking down under load. check voltage when someone operates the switch. see if it drops.

unusual for all 4 to fail simultaneously. could be a common poor connection, breaking down under load. check voltage when someone operates the switch. see if it drops.

Thanks telectrix, so just tested at the FSU and it's 240V with 240V at the far connection end near the actuators. Did wonder if it might be high resistance in the MK toggle switch after what you'd said but seemingly not. So, supply is good...must be all 4 actuators packed up then???

Ummmmm......so, just tested again and I have 240V up BOTH cables when the toggle switch is switched in/out. Shouldn't it have 240V up one and then the other??? Though this is with an actuator connected.

Last edited:

JUST found it....dead short between L1 and L2 in the flex supply.

Took one of the actuators off and tested it on a plug with blocks and it worked properly. Conclusion, check IR between all conductors...L1 and L2 to N >299 Ohms, L1/L2 0 Ohms. Screw from curtain track had pierced the flex.

Who put the curtain track up....me :-( Plonker

So, the actuators were getting a live signal to go in and out simultaneously....and therefore quite correctly did nothing.

Thanks to all that took the time to reply.

good result, one of those sort of faults, these things happen, good job it was your own place not to much explaining to do lol if it was for a customer you could of really ribbed them about the screw, however in your own place i'd of just repaired it and told the missus it was down to harmonics lol

good result, one of those sort of faults, these things happen, good job it was your own place not to much explaining to do lol if it was for a customer you could of really ribbed them about the screw, however in your own place i'd of just repaired it and told the missus it was down to harmonics lol

Ha, brilliant. Must remember that next time!!!

Reply to Window Actuators - All 4 Have Stopped Working! *FIXED* in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net