Discuss Boiling water tap and waste disposal into socket adapter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice.

Just bought a boiling water tap, with a max kw rating of 1.5.

We already have a waste disposal under the sink which we use after most meals which is around 13 years old, but have found a link for it which i have posted below. 0.55kw it says it is.

Without a bit of work (removing waste disposal unit) and a few other things it wouldn't be easy to replace the single socket which is up in the corner of then under sink unit. So i'm wondering, with a total of 2.1kw max, bearing in mind the waste disposal would normally only run for a max of 20 seconds say after a meal.

Would it be advisable to plug this into either a 2 way socket adapter, or a 13a extension lead?

Thanks
Robert

A short extension lead is more favourable to a cube type adaptor. The weight of them pull the pins from the socket and can cause arcing.

Ideally, changing a single to a double would be best idea.

Do you know if the socket is part of ring, or on a spur?
Shouldn’t matter, but interesting to know.

A short extension lead is more favourable to a cube type adaptor. The weight of them pull the pins from the socket and can cause arcing.

Ideally, changing a single to a double would be best idea.

Do you know if the socket is part of ring, or on a spur?
Shouldn’t matter, but interesting to know.
Hi,
I thought so, better to change it to a double, just thought i would ask the question.

Yes it's part of a 2.5mm ring main, we built the house new in 2009 so know it inside out. on a 32a mcb

Last edited:
I did something similar at a customers house, but it was only to replace a single socket under the sink.

Waste disposal unit unscrewed from its pipework fairly easily. Just a quarter turn or something.

Might give enough space if same design.

As mentioned on the forum before, double sockets can usually handle 20A between the two outlets.... so your appliances are a little over 8A together....

Are you certain its on the ring? two cables in the back? Or is it switched from above worktop?

I did something similar at a customers house, but it was only to replace a single socket under the sink.

Waste disposal unit unscrewed from its pipework fairly easily. Just a quarter turn or something.

Might give enough space if same design.

As mentioned on the forum before, double sockets can usually handle 20A between the two outlets.... so your appliances are a little over 8A together....

Are you certain its on the ring? two cables in the back? Or is it switched from above worktop?Tha

Thanks for the reply,

Yes it will come out, its on with a jubilee clip type arrangement onto the bottom of the sink, with a metal clamp around that. So not a 5 minuite job. But doable.

Yes the socket is definitely on the ring main, put it there myself when wiring the house up, goes from there to the dishwasher next door then back up onto the loft and back around.

thanks again.

Reply to Boiling water tap and waste disposal into socket adapter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net