Search the forum,

Discuss Budget Solar 4KW system for £8000 fitted in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That price is ridiculous! budget solar might be using cheap chinese panels, but did they think about most chinese companies liquidation patterns? The product warranties will be 5 years or so, but whose to say the company will still be around in that time for customers to claim against faulty panels and output etc......

Agreed. People should actually read the Sanyo (and others) guarantees to see what is excluded. For example, damage caused by ageing and continuous use are excluded. Isn't 'ageing' exactly what people are expecting to be covered by the 20 year power output guarantee? And quite how 'continuous use' is defined for a PV panel is a bit difficult to find. Does it mean 'in sunlight 24 hours a day' (ridiculous for something fitted to a house) or something else?

And it's also worth noting that Sanyo do not guarantee to replace any modules that are under performing. They may just give you an additional module to make up for the deficiency. That could mean that if you have a 240W module that has dropped to 200W, they will just give you a 40W module. How and where you fit it is then your problem.

I'm not saying this is what Sanyo will do - just that is what the wording in their guarantee allows them to do if they want.

Insightful (or should that be inciteful on these forums) as ever Ted.

Any chance you could give the contributor(s) of some of the amendments in the new installation draft a helping hand to ensure we are able to make sense of it once finished.

I think Budget solar appear to be doing a great deal for their customers, the problem is that we could all be busy fools. Problem is they make no money which is a good deal for the customers right up until they start going out of business which they will if they don't reflect their costs in their prices. When companies go under the customers lose out, half completed jobs and lost (but hopefully insured) deposits.

The damage they do to the rest of us is regrettable but it's easily done...

Buy cheap stuff for £6k, install for £8k - £2k gross profit.....scaffold, labour, overheads, cost of expansion to meet demand all adds up to a trading loss......problem is new orders, new deposits all disguise this trading loss leading to a rapidly growing business bomb. It would be nice to think it will be isolated but mark my words, many of our more irksome competitors will disappear soon having made this simple mistake. Its a shame but the vast majority of new businesses fail and whilst our industry is growing rapidly many will still fail.

There are solid businesses run by sensible businessmen who will grow sensibly, make a profit and provide value to their customers, suppliers and employees. There will also be fools who think there is a killing to be made either by cutting their own throat or by ripping off customers. Both of these types of fools will damage our collective reputation but don't get drawn in. I'm fully booked until mid January and charge £11,700 for 4kWp, customer referals mainly. I'm sure many of you in the forum are doing better than me, drive nicer cars and have nicer holidays but I'm very content and I know I'll be here to honour my 10year workmanship warranty in the very unlikely event that one of my first class installations develops a fault.

I think Budget solar appear to be doing a great deal for their customers, the problem is that we could all be busy fools. Problem is they make no money which is a good deal for the customers right up until they start going out of business which they will if they don't reflect their costs in their prices. When companies go under the customers lose out, half completed jobs and lost (but hopefully insured) deposits.

The damage they do to the rest of us is regrettable but it's easily done...

Buy cheap stuff for £6k, install for £8k - £2k gross profit.....scaffold, labour, overheads, cost of expansion to meet demand all adds up to a trading loss......problem is new orders, new deposits all disguise this trading loss leading to a rapidly growing business bomb. It would be nice to think it will be isolated but mark my words, many of our more irksome competitors will disappear soon having made this simple mistake. Its a shame but the vast majority of new businesses fail and whilst our industry is growing rapidly many will still fail.

There are solid businesses run by sensible businessmen who will grow sensibly, make a profit and provide value to their customers, suppliers and employees. There will also be fools who think there is a killing to be made either by cutting their own throat or by ripping off customers. Both of these types of fools will damage our collective reputation but don't get drawn in. I'm fully booked until mid January and charge £11,700 for 4kWp, customer referals mainly. I'm sure many of you in the forum are doing better than me, drive nicer cars and have nicer holidays but I'm very content and I know I'll be here to honour my 10year workmanship warranty in the very unlikely event that one of my first class installations develops a fault.

Couldn't agree more, I have been tempted to go to sub 10K on simple 4.0kw installs for existing clients but decided against it. The busy fool statement is beginning to sound a bit too close to home.

Reply to Budget Solar 4KW system for £8000 fitted in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net