Discuss Can a fluke T90 continuity tester be capable of confirming a new light fixture is good to go or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks again. The reason I thought I would be ok to check with it to see if it's safe is because at college we have been using fluke t5 1000's on the lights we put up on the wooden boards. Been doing one way, 2 way, 2 plate and 3 plate. One light on a board with a consumer unit, using a t5 1000 to test the light. At college though we twist some of the consumer units wires together before testing. Left unconnected from the unit.

Thanks again. The reason I thought I would be ok to check with it to see if it's safe is because at college we have been using fluke t5 1000's on the lights we put up on the wooden boards. Been doing one way, 2 way, 2 plate and 3 plate. One light on a board with a consumer unit, using a t5 1000 to test the light. At college though we twist some of the consumer units wires together before testing. Left unconnected from the unit.

Are you on about R1+R2 testing for continuity of cpc? Would be very surprised if you are being taught to do this using a T5 tester rather than a proper low ohm resistance meter.

We arent being tought resistors in series in practical but are in theory. I can not remember which wires we connected but earth was one of them. We tested in ohms, did not really pay attention to out else.

To cut to the chase, say if I wired up a new lamp holder to the ceiling (yes lamps glow bulbs grow lol). If I were to use a tester to see if it is safe and good to go or not, what tester would I use? If there is such tester for such purpose. It's not that I lack confidence, I'm neat when I do stuff and never had a problem. I've Wired variac transformers and put them in cases, lights, cookers and a few other things I can't remember doing but have experience with wires and know being neat is very inportant.

To be honest my course at college has been a mess. We have been juggled about having different tutors pretty much every few weeks and because some students misbehave a lot for some tutors, some weeks at college are a joke. I think at college things should be moving at a quicker pace to be honest. If I want to get to level 2 I have to work hard and revise lots outside college.

One tutor tried explaining about testers a few theory sessions ago but most of the class was just being a pain basically.

Really appreciate the replies, every little helps. Will do a lot of browsing around on here, see what's to learn...

Last edited:
As mentioned before John you can’t “test” a circuit with voltage indicators other than proving live or dead, buzzing out identifying cables when you can’t see its entire run by joining 2 cores of a cable together at one end and then testing for continuity at the other end continuity is confirmed by your voltage indicators buzzing/beeping....same as testing R1+R2 but you’d need a multi function tester to perform that “test”

Sorry that is a carp video, there are others not the T90 but similar in make, up have a look, Just search "how to use a Fluke T90" plenty of other vids, must admit I never watched the one I sent you until after I posted, a Carp video sorry about that.

Thanks, yes it is 3 plate mate.

Was hoping I got the right kind of tester but nevermind. It's become more clearer what i've got and what I need now that i've been on here so thanks guys.

It will come in handy one day no doubt.
Your T90 should be used a lot for Isolation purposes

Was hoping I got the right kind of tester but nevermind. It's become more clearer what i've got and what I need now that i've been on here so thanks guys.

Hi guys, I have wired light fixtures and hard wired a lot of cookers in the past, been all fine.

I'm now training to be an electrician, the course itself is level 1 electrical installation.

I have just bought my first continuity tester which is a fluke T90 and wondering if this is good enough to test on light fixtures after wiring to see if it's good to go before turning it on?

Thanks for any answers.
John Welcome, If you are currently in training, you could do no better than apply to gain access to the trainee area, doesn't matter how dumb your question may sound to you , or how simple the answer may be, you will get help, without the fear of being ridiculed, for not knowing something, apply to one of the Mods "Westward 10, Sparkychick, Leesparkykent, there are others but it's early and I haven't woken up properly yet, good luck.

Hi guys, I have wired light fixtures and hard wired a lot of cookers in the past, been all fine.

I'm now training to be an electrician, the course itself is level 1 electrical installation.

I have just bought my first continuity tester which is a fluke T90 and wondering if this is good enough to test on light fixtures after wiring to see if it's good to go before turning it on?

Thanks for any answers.
John Welcome, If you are currently in training, you could do no better than apply to gain access to the trainee area, doesn't matter how dumb your question may sound to you , or how simple the answer may be, you will get help, without the fear of being ridiculed, for not knowing something, apply to one of the Mods "Westward 10, Sparkychick, Leesparkykent, there are others but it's early and I haven't woken up properly yet, good luck. You also get a colored icon by your name to donate you as a Trainee,

Thanks for any answers.
John Welcome, If you are currently in training, you could do no better than apply to gain access to the trainee area, doesn't matter how dumb your question may sound to you , or how simple the answer may be, you will get help, without the fear of being ridiculed, for not knowing something, apply to one of the Mods "Westward 10, Sparkychick, Leesparkykent, there are others but it's early and I haven't woken up properly yet, good luck. You also get a colored icon by your name to donate you as a Trainee,

Safe isolation video for you to get your head around JW makes some very good instructional videos

but will he get a Crackerjack pen?
Crackerjack, not many people will know what Crackerjack was Tel, a pity really I know I liked it, never got a pen though, got a Jim'll fix it badge, but NO he never fixed anything for me, thank you very much.

Thanks so much, just woken up and this got to 3 pages already. I understand the purpose of this tester now and seems there isn't a tester for the purpose i'm looking for.

Again thanks very much. Also I have enough pens ta ;)

Thanks so much, just woken up and this got to 3 pages already. I understand the purpose of this tester now and seems there isn't a tester for the purpose i'm looking for.

Again thanks very much. Also I have enough pens ta ;)

Of course there is a tester for the purpose you are looking for, I'm not clear what that purpose is though yet.
A MFT is the popular choice for most electricians to perform required tests for safety and for fault finding.

Reply to Can a fluke T90 continuity tester be capable of confirming a new light fixture is good to go or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net