Discuss Electrical riser in block of flats in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tom

-
Reaction score
CDB983A8-DD11-46D7-9E7A-994CEC941038.jpeg
01742C69-466F-4E5D-A0C7-F7FB7CBD7CAB.jpeg
DD1F049C-9896-486F-8EC7-2001594693C9.jpeg
34B42F33-BA2C-4ED7-8A28-4FB5763D3400.jpeg
BC75D31A-3334-44C2-AF1B-B1BFA11FC1B6.jpeg
F5BF772F-3832-457F-9D81-FCFDA6DF559F.jpeg
4CEF3CA0-2A21-4FFC-8212-C0C65879B758.jpeg
43DC1BCE-E719-4864-A98D-1C034650FDD7.jpeg
1BDD2719-5DAD-4B15-A73D-ED78B6D43883.jpeg
CAB81CDF-7A12-44E2-852F-CA8A86C1867B.jpeg

Hi,
I live in a 5 storey 1920’s private block of 16 flats. I reported a smell of gas in the communal stairwell, and the gas board identified 2 gas leaks in the riser. Whilst they were there, I noticed there is alot of really dodgy looking electrical work in the same riser as the gas main on each floor, including fuse boxes, isolators and submains of various ages, including t&e submains, VIR meter tails which have been taped up in places, original 1920’s supply equipment, all kinds of other cables draped all over, a huge spaghetti of exposed intercom/alarm? wires, telephone junctions, sky tv cables, fibreoptic and god knows what else all zip tied to eachother. There is also water leaking through the roof onto all of this. I’ve reported to the managing agent that this looks really unsafe to me. Are they required to have all this tested/rewired periodically? And considering this is all located in a communal stairwell with a gas main which was leaking, does it seem acceptable? (Photos attached)

Risers are prone to abuse but the electrical system looks pretty dire. Does each landing have a locked fire door to the riser.

dire??? direabolcal. that lot wants sorting urgently. i hope tenants have working fire escapes to each flat.

Risers are prone to abuse but the electrical system looks pretty dire. Does each landing have a locked fire door to the riser.

The riser has a plywood door on it, with a piece of plasterboard screwed to the back of it. The smoke seals don’t even seal the gap around the door. This is open to the stairwell, all the way up to the 5th floor with no compartmentation, hence my concern. The managing agent won’t upgrade anything old unless I can demonstrate a requirement for them to, so my question is whether there is any statutory requirement for them to rewire any of this crap?

Is it just a stairwell or are there flats on it. There is nothing wrong having electrical risers on stairwells providing the doors provide a suitable fire barrier.

Is it just a stairwell or are there flats on it. There is nothing wrong having electrical risers on stairwells providing the doors provide a suitable fire barrier.
The flat entry doors lead directly into the stairwell, there is no compartmentation at all. You have to walk past the riser to get out. I highly doubt that the riser doors would hold back a fire long enough for people to get out. I’ll bring that up with the managers!

This "Private block of flats".

Is it owned by someone who use a Managing agent?
Do all of the occupants pay rent?
Do any / all of the occupants own thier flats and the Managing agent acts for them?

There is a landlord (freehold company) who employs a managing agent (cooke & arkwright) some of the flats are leasehold owned, some are rented. We pay £3000 each in service charges per year. This is one block of 16 flats in a row of 10 blocks, each with own entrance.

There is a landlord (freehold company) who employs a managing agent (cooke & arkwright) some of the flats are leasehold owned, some are rented. We pay £3000 each in service charges per year. This is one block of 16 flats in a row of 10 blocks, each with own entrance.

Not read the thread but approved this post and all i can say is OMG, that alone is a decent whack to a mortgage payment then I suppose you have rent to pay too... I would get 12months to a few yrs of records of payment and approach any mortgage company to show them you are able to pay and get your own pad.
Do the maths here, all those flats paying that is like a money train for them and looking at the pics on this page you are not exactly been given the luxury of the Ritz here.

Deary me,it looks like it's either the electrics or the cladding...three grand a year ain't gonna get the both done...

If you have five floors and only one stairwell, which is acceptable providing protective measures are in place. Fire risk assessment seems to be in order.

The thin data cabling looks like it's probably part of a door entry system. The leaseholders in the building I am in (we rent) discovered they were paying a yearly maintenance charge to a door entry maintenance company (for a system that was never maintained). You might find you also are and could get them ib to sort that mess out.

It may also be worth asking your DNO to come and inspect the incoming service cable and head given its apparent age and condition.

You will need to refer to your leasehold contract to determine what the situation is with responsibility. Probably looks worse than it actually is and would only take a week or so to sort out.

You will need to refer to your leasehold contract to determine what the situation is with responsibility. Probably looks worse than it actually is and would only take a week or so to sort out.
I think Specksavers have an offer on this weekend, if you are at a loose end.

Reply to Electrical riser in block of flats in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net