Discuss Electrician walked out - worth involving NICEIC? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

First rule as a customer .Change a lock after trades have finished if they have had access to a key etc .You never know if a duplicate has been cut (This includes all so called Banham security locks, they are easily copied :) ) You only need the night latch lock changed . Same for when Domestic staff leave etc .

First rule as a customer .Change a lock after trades have finished if they have had access to a key etc .You never know if a duplicate has been cut (This includes all so called Banham security locks, they are easily copied :) ) You only need the night latch lock changed . Same for when Domestic staff leave etc .
Its disappointing that I can’t argue with advice like that.
however, you could say the same for family and friends, you never know what they are up to either.

Isn't that the modern way now
Started long ago, it's just getting worse.
When it comes to it, there's only one boss and that's the owner. Be it a project manager, interior designer or the hands on contractor, in case the s*** hits the fan, they should be kept informed and up to date, whoever's in charge on site.

Started long ago, it's just getting worse.
When it comes to it, there's only one boss and that's the owner. Be it a project manager, interior designer or the hands on contractor, in case the s*** hits the fan, they should be kept informed and up to date, whoever's in charge on site.
Many projects the "chiefs" want the trades as far away from the client as possible .And in some cases the client would never ever talk to the "trades" . Ive worked on projects where if the client came . We all had to leave any part of the property they might visit and most certainly not to even "greet or smile " !

Many projects the "chiefs" want the trades as far away from the client as possible .And in some cases the client would never ever talk to the "trades" . Ive worked on projects where if the client came . We all had to leave any part of the property they might visit and most certainly not to even "greet or smile " !
That's a different point. altogether, though.....and understandable, in some cases.

Clearly the question you came here to ask has since been answered but, from information contained in subsequent posts, I can't help wondering what value the project manager brings to this party.
And that is the million dollar question! If I knew then what I know now I would’ve PM’d the renovation myself - much less stress and I wouldn’t have lost most of the tradespeople he got in for me. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

And that is the million dollar question! If I knew then what I know now I would’ve PM’d the renovation myself - much less stress and I wouldn’t have lost most of the tradespeople he got in for me. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Bin the PM, Talk to the electrician and see if 2 calm heads can sort out whats required and life goers on ?

Top tip FWIW, if you really dont want to *iss off an electrician dont do the following:

1. Decide on outside lights / water feature / Summerhouse, after drives have been laid, plastering has been finished etc
2. In other words if you need extra ccts internally after plastering or externally after concrete / tarmac has been laid - expect the worst.
3. Dont change your mind on recessed lighting after its been installed, do your research
4. Dont have all the sockets fitted and then rock up with fitted furniture which covers half of them up, design your fitted furniture before letting the electrician loose.
5. Make sure the electrician is aware of ALL electrical devices that are to be installed, e.g. if you have under floor heating wet or dry make sure the electrician is aware
6. Tell the electrician of the kitchen and bathroom designs they are not Psychic..

I could go one but generally if the client is making requirements on the fly, it will end in tears. Ditto for other trades like kitchen and bathrooms and heating / ventilation and A/c

AND BREATHE :)

That's it. Not all the shysters are out to make a quick buck.

Unfortunately there are too many tv shows shows where the interior designer appears to rule the roost making unilateral decisions without consulting the client or the clients are recommended to appoint a project manager, ok some of these projects turn out ok or you never get to see the fall out after the cameras finish rolling but there are also those jobs where the client has a fall out with some or all of those onsite resulting in a change of site manager, builder or other trades to progress the project to it's end

Site harmony can easily be destroyed by a bad site manager / client who doesn't communicate any changes to all the trades involved or materials don't turn up on time as dead time costs money and someone will be expected to pay for dead time or the trades will move on to the next paying job

Not done it for many years now but the "wouldn't it be nice if" triplicate book was a useful tool as any changes to the working plan could be documented and signed by the client, architect, site manager they got one copy, another copy was then priced to show any cost savings or increase and sent to the client, architect or project manager to issue an order or instruction to carry out the change or not and the last copy stayed in the book or was filed in our site diary. The best part was it kept our job costs tracked throughout and the client could keep within their budget or agree and accept any increased costs for the alterations

Why did the Electrician walk away? your interference or what?

Not our interference (I found that question quite rude tbh). The fact that his team didn’t follow my very clear instructions and did their own thing is a completely different conversation and not the reason he walked out. Reading between the lines I think it was mainly a breakdown between him and our PM and we took the brunt of it. We’ve been left with a fusebox which has a sign on it saying not to turn on any more switches so no idea if it’s safe. All quite sad really
Sorry you took Umbridge at my question

6. Tell the electrician of the kitchen and bathroom designs
And then take the designs back to the customer (not PM, if there is one), just before you do anything irrevocable, make sure the customer fully understands them, and confirm that these are the FINAL designs, with absolutely no changes to follow, however insignificant those changes might appear to be by the customer.
The above has served me well on many occasions, when I've discovered I'm on 'kitchen plan A', while the kitchen designers are on 'kitchen plan D', with the installers on 'kitchen plan E'.
Customers have no concept that 'moving that wall unit a couple of inches to the right' puts the fixing brackets for the cabinet right over the safe zone chase for that socket below.

Another reason why 1 x man set ups can work so well. They know whats going on and can work with a client easier . One of the best bathroom guys I know refuses to work with anyone else(Labourer etc ) and will not work alongside other trades. He is excellent , booked about 9 months ahead always and earns a fortune

Last edited:

Reply to Electrician walked out - worth involving NICEIC? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock