Discuss Extending Outdoor Power with 2 double sockets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JohnH

-
Reaction score
Hello, would appreciate a steer please for extending power further into the garden. Fuse box has a dedicated fuse (see pic) for Garden providing 16amp. Had an electrician that has previously connected armoured cable from existing double socket in garage into new shed providing a double socket, with a 3amp fused spur providing a light (see pic). Now want to extend further to provide 2 further double waterproof sockets - one for small summer house and other near arbour for music.

Not sure whether I can spur off shed double plug or have to wire in something different to provide desired outcome, thank you in advance.

Extending Outdoor Power with 2 double sockets 3271E74C-8FCE-4002-ACE3-4D6EE3872148 - EletriciansForums.net

Extending Outdoor Power with 2 double sockets 066E45FB-6FC1-4973-B80E-DE4B769341EE - EletriciansForums.net

Hi John, welcome to the forum. You could just get your electrician back to carry out these works?

Thanks but firstly I’d like to know whether what work has been completed so far is something I can work from. Secondly the electrician used to work for an alarm company and he has now left.

welcome johnH ,it would be advisable to get a spark in the extend the circuit for the said works , you not insured for the work .where a spark is .

This isn't a DIY job

Get a quote from a reputable handyman … I mean sparks :p

Clearly understand the competencies required. Based on what is required to complete the work (which I am asking) will determine what part P regs are required and whether notifiable or not. I believe this work is not but will absolutely make sure it is inspected and certified once completed. Even if that means completing the work (once I know how) but NOT actually terminating it so that work is isolated until inspected/certified if a qualified spark needs to do that cheers

It’s a radial circuit on a 16A. You can branch off anywhere.

OP is wanting to do a good job of this. Would be different if he was thinking of running it in flex and just plugging it in..... which is how B&Q would allow it. Even sell ready made kits. Plug - flex - outside socket.

You can get light switches that have a N terminal, so no need for a bullet connector

Thanks really helpful. It will be a quality job, OCD helps ;-) and certified for sure. So as radial circuit a fused spur for the 2 further double sockets? Thanks again

OP is wanting to do a good job of this. Would be different if he was thinking of running it in flex and just plugging it in..... which is how B&Q would allow it. Even sell ready made kits. Plug - flex - outside socket.
there is a differences on how to do it or cock it up differences.

I'm with @littlespark on this.

OP: It's Sunday morning and my brain isn't switched on properly. But I'm feeling happy. :)
It is possible to extend the existing circuit.
Would be good for me if I knew more info.
Any chance of a block drawing showing house, shed, summer house and arbour positions, relative to each other.
Cable distance may also be an issue, so distances from each other would also be good.
Do you know size of existing cables? House to garage. Garage to shed.

OP: Regarding Part P. See below.
As you are extending a circuit and the location is not a 'special location' I would say that this work is not notifiable.

Extending Outdoor Power with 2 double sockets upload_2019-4-14_11-32-41 - EletriciansForums.net

It’s a radial circuit on a 16A. You can branch off anywhere.

One of these jobbies …..

Thanks Spoon. Pic attached of building layout and approx measurements. Cable for the complete run into garage and to shed and will use the same for summer house and arbour is SWA Cable 3 Core 2.5mm.

Extending Outdoor Power with 2 double sockets 6C041C60-0BAF-46A5-B36A-C10B49368FDF - EletriciansForums.net

Aren’t arbours a special location (section 709)? :D

Reply to Extending Outdoor Power with 2 double sockets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock