Discuss Faulty storage heaters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Storage heaters are a bag-o-****e. The only thing their good for is the bricks - to line a BBQ or other similar building projects.

Its often the thermal cut-out thats triggered because they get covered by people, despite being told otherwise (as others have already said).

Dimplex customer services are poor (in my experience), but the website does have the instructions for the units and (from memory) shows where the cut-outs are.

As has been mentioned, probably thermal link, quite a common issue at this time of year. Get an electrician in to replace it, shouldn't take too long or cost you much, certainly considerably less than buying a new one! If you post up roughly where you live there might even be someone local on the forum who could help you out!

Last edited:
he's in aberdeen. think that's somewhere in jockland.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am electrician but haven't worked on immersion heaters before so just wanted a bit of advice. I'll check out the thermal link on it tonight. I couldn't find a diagram which shows you where the cut-outs etc are. If any has got a website link for it that would be great.

Creda 79161C_2_1.jpg
number 5 is the thermal fuse
creda thermal fuse 177 deg yellow.jpg

Thanks, Richard. I'll check that out tonight. I've just read some of the previous posts and it says about resetting it by pushing down on a switch is that another possible fault that goes wrong with this particular heater?

If you have a thermal fuse then this blows and needs to be replaced, if you have a thermal cut out (not cut off) then these can usually be reset.
The Creda model you mention seems to have a thermal fuse so no reset is possible without replacement.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am electrician but haven't worked on immersion heaters before so just wanted a bit of advice. I'll check out the thermal link on it tonight. I couldn't find a diagram which shows you where the cut-outs etc are. If any has got a website link for it that would be great.

If you're an electrician, then some simple continuity testing of the wiring and components inside the heater should pinpoint the fault pretty quickly. There's not much in them, you know.

Check the stat and the elements, there's nothing else in there.
Also check the supply fuse/mcb, circuit wiring and the isolator switch.

Temporarily power the heater with a bit of flex and a 13A plug If you want to test it live

Yeah I'm gonna have a look at it over the weekend didn't have enough time tonight. Checked all the supply side and its sound so it's defiantly something in the heater. Reckon it could be the element. I'll dig out my multimeter and test it.
18394be3b12e3e35cda596fa450928fb.jpg

I am electrician but haven't worked on immersion heaters before so just wanted a bit of advice. I'll check out the thermal link on it tonight. I couldn't find a diagram which shows you where the cut-outs etc are. If any has got a website link for it that would be great.

You sure about either of those?

Ok. I'll check the thermal fuse (hopefully it's that) if it's not then I'll be back on here to ask what else it may lol. Thank you

Keep on guessing, you'll find it eventually.

Reckon it could be the element. I'll dig out my multimeter and test it.

As an “electrician” you have to did your meter out?

DIY Dave strikes again.

Yeah I'm gonna have a look at it over the weekend didn't have enough time tonight. Checked all the supply side and its sound so it's defiantly something in the heater. Reckon it could be the element. I'll dig out my multimeter and test it. G]

THE element??

Have you even looked at the unit properly?

How many elements were in there when you looked at it, if there was only one then I think your problem might be that someone has stolen some of your elements!!

Reply to Faulty storage heaters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net