Discuss Had a pir done on a rented house in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

hoover

-
Reaction score
Got a spark to do a pir on a house I'm putting up for rent. A few of his codes has surprised me. No rcds protecting the fuse boards is down as a code 1. Now the shower is on an rcd on it's own but the installation was wired o the 16th ed so surely code 1 is a bit ott? It's a tncs system

I have to agree I do think that a code 1 normally for an installation that does not have RCD protection is harsh, but have you asked him why he coded it a 1? There maybe a reason he did it, which escapes you, but I think if that was the case I would certainly have told you why as a code 1 should be dealt with as an urgency.

In most circumstances, in a domestic situation if my test results on the socket circuits proved the correct disconnection times for the protection device then I may code it a 4 or no code at all. I would though if I found a socket say in the kitchen that i expected could be used for mobile equipment outside I would code that a 2 and advise you of the need for either RCD protection for the circuit or change the socket for an RCD one.

Last edited:
If its an 16th ed install and all disconnection times are met its a code 4. May be this chap is fishing for work and trying to get a cu change out of it?

Has the inspector listed each individual lack of RCD protection and code, or have they just made the one observation and code?

That's the problem Spin, I see this constantly "no RCD protection to fuse board".

It's just lazy, incompetent defect reporting, since when did a 'fuseboard', a 'distribution board' or a 'consumer unit' need 'RCD protection'?

The defects should be listed individually to give the client some idea of the actual non compliances:

1 No 30mA RCD protection to cables buried in walls......

2 No 30mA RCD protection to circuits in location containing bath or shower.....

3 No 30mA RCD protection to socket outlets.....

Just another example of the abysmal quality of the massive majority of PIRs that I see.

Can't agree more IQ.
I like to see the both the reason and the relevant Reg. No. (if there is one) on each observation
I blame the 2391 qualification for this situation.
It seems to me, that the course does not cover more than just what is required to pass the exam.
Judging from the questions asked on this and other forums, there seems to be very little devoted to report writing and coding.
Now it seems that we are to have numerous qualifications, one for initial verification, one for domestic and another for industrial.
Will we next have one for initial verification of domestic installations, and another for industrial, what about for P.V. installations?

It's not just that Spin, it becomes a nightmare for employers, many still don't know what 2391-20 and 2392 are, imagine picking the right guy for the job when there are 5 or 6 similar 239? numbers to chose from-utter madness!

The only decent thing is the level 4 value of what is now 2391-20, about time as this qualification sorts the men from the boys!

IQ,
I agree with your comment on 2391-20 (aka 2400) but it seems other forum posters here feel it is an easy course!

Hi Paul, Just stumbled on this and the other thread, I'm trying to lay off this place for a week.
I'll stick up my response, reasoning etc on the other thread when I can work out a sensible and coherent answer, English language is not one of my strong points.

IQ,
I agree with your comment on 2391-20 (aka 2400) but it seems other forum posters here feel it is an easy course!

Well I suppose it's all relative but in the scheme of things, I don't think a qualification that has 3 separate component parts ie. Practical, full written and design project can really be called 'easy'

A PAT testing 2377 exam is 'easy', a 17th edition 2380 exam is 'easy' but you need to know your onions to pass 2391-20.

I List everything like IQ has there its a bummer doing it for hotels tho 100 room dbs with " bathroom fittings are not IP rated for bathroom zones " makes for a 300plus code 2 recomendations and around 5 weeks worth of remedials to a hotel refurbished in 2007
for PIRs I have page 2 used for recomendations ie Coded Items and a seperate sheet for non BS Items ie no emergency lighting at db ect ect and second "back sheet" with recomended remedies for coded items a sort of quote guide for my gaffer so he doesnt do what he did a few weeks ago He allowwed £50 for an RCBO he didnt check price of SquareD QOE range £133 a pop

Reply to Had a pir done on a rented house in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net