Discuss Help with Wago instead of ceiling rose method in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dgrs

Dear All,

This is my first post in the forums - so a little background first. I have basically no practical electrical experience but I have almost completed the 'Domestic Electrical Installers' course through OLCI (I have my Part P). I know a lot of you fully qualified guys don't like this 'domestic installer' qualification, and with hindsight I do partly wish I'd done the full thing - my understanding feels sketchy! I do have two friends, who are practising electricians and have some experience lined up starting very soon.

My question relates to replacing a ceiling rose with wago connectors. The reason for this is a friend has asked me to put up some chandeliers. The canopy of the chandelier, which attaches to the ceiling, is quite small and would be difficult to simply attach it 'around' the existing ceiling rose. So I thought using levered wago connectors could be an elegant solution. But is it ok for wago connectors to simply sit in the canopy of the chandelier or would the connectors need to go into a wago box (like with downlights where you can just pop them through the downlight holes)? I don't think the hole in the ceiling where the wires come through is big enough to pop a wago box through.

On a practical level, do any of you have any advice - for eg, do I need to be careful that the wires are long enough to fit into the connectors and then the connectors into the box or is this likely to not be an issue?

If there are some who think wago connectors are not the way forward may I ask how you would approach this job? Simply using connector blocks and have them sit in the canopy?

Many thanks in advance,

Dave

Sorry mate difficult to describe the step by step procedure and methods used to install a chandelier safely. You need to do it under supervision in my opinion.

Well, the chandeliers were up before but a spark removed them (my friends moved out for a while and are now moving back in). The spark just put in a standard ceiling rose with pendants. The wiring couldn't be more simple and the chandeliers weigh very little.

I realised it would be a two man job: one to hold the chandelier whilst I'd do the connections (using wago super fast) and then attach the chandelier to the fixing bracket.

Thanks for your response and warning but I hope someone else has some advice - don't want to give up before doing the first job which I thought would be very small...

Dave

If the connectors are effectively in an enclosure formed by the fitting and the plasterboard. Then that will be fine, if they go through the ceiling then they will need to be in some form of enclosure.
Hope this helps

Dear All,

This is my first post in the forums - so a little background first. I have basically no practical electrical experience but I have almost completed the 'Domestic Electrical Installers' course through OLCI (I have my Part P). I know a lot of you fully qualified guys don't like this 'domestic installer' qualification, and with hindsight I do partly wish I'd done the full thing - my understanding feels sketchy! I do have two friends, who are practising electricians and have some experience lined up starting very soon.

My question relates to replacing a ceiling rose with wago connectors. The reason for this is a friend has asked me to put up some chandeliers. The canopy of the chandelier, which attaches to the ceiling, is quite small and would be difficult to simply attach it 'around' the existing ceiling rose. So I thought using levered wago connectors could be an elegant solution. But is it ok for wago connectors to simply sit in the canopy of the chandelier or would the connectors need to go into a wago box (like with downlights where you can just pop them through the downlight holes)? I don't think the hole in the ceiling where the wires come through is big enough to pop a wago box through.

On a practical level, do any of you have any advice - for eg, do I need to be careful that the wires are long enough to fit into the connectors and then the connectors into the box or is this likely to not be an issue?

If there are some who think wago connectors are not the way forward may I ask how you would approach this job? Simply using connector blocks and have them sit in the canopy?

Many thanks in advance,

Dave

I do agree with micknew, I'd be more concerned how well the chandelier is affixed to the ceiling.

You have been mislead about your "partp" or so you call it.
As you should know, Part P is a building regulation and there is no "part p" qualification, the only recognisable "skill set" attached to part P of the building regs is joining a competent persons scheme with say nic, napit or elecsa. For a large sum of money they will take your money and with a days assessment tell you that you are "part P qualified".

So just to be clear, the ceiling and canopy of the chandelier qualify as an enclosure and therefore the wago connectors or connector blocks can sit inside the canopy?

Many thanks,

Dave

I understand this but there is an exam to sit... There are other exams and assessments as part of the course. I just mentioned this to show that I have some knowledge, but I am very aware that my practical knowledge is very poor indeed. None of the qualifications which one gets mean anything without an assessment from from of the regulatory bodies and this wasn't explained to me by the 'careers advisor' (salesman).

So just to be clear, the ceiling and canopy of the chandelier qualify as an enclosure and therefore the wago connectors or connector blocks can sit inside the canopy?

Many thanks,

Dave
yes, you can fit wagos or even choc blocks in the canopy. preferably wagos, 1. they are in a suitable enclosure.2. they are accesssible for maintenance.

No, the course just wired in ceiling roses. We covered 2 way switching with an intermediate switch. The job I'm asking about is far simpler in terms of wiring but I posted a practical question...

My point of asking a question on here is I am lacking practical experience and thought people could help. I am experienced enough (just with DIY) to know that few things, unless you install the whole thing yourself from scratch, fit an exact scenario. I was really hoping that my question wouldn't just result in criticism of the course of did or of the lack of my own practical experience which I made very clear from the outset...

Oh well.

I understand this but there is an exam to sit... There are other exams and assessments as part of the course. I just mentioned this to show that I have some knowledge, but I am very aware that my practical knowledge is very poor indeed. None of the qualifications which one gets mean anything without an assessment from from of the regulatory bodies and this wasn't explained to me by the 'careers advisor' (salesman).

As I said, and telectrix,it is fine to install them.

@dgrs. you will get good advice, criticism and witticism on this forum. hopefully you can take a bit of stick along with the plain simple advice. you have been straightforward as regards your capabilities and deserve credit for not trying to blag it. good luck with the rest of your course and more importantly, practical experience with it.

Well done Tel I return every now and again to see how things are going and nothing changes much , But see people like you are still prepared to help rather than have a go at people wanting advice.....Hope you and the Mrs are well keep it up.
yes, you can fit wagos or even choc blocks in the canopy. preferably wagos, 1. they are in a suitable enclosure.2. they are accesssible for maintenance.

Well done Tel I return every now and again to see how things are going and nothing changes much , But see people like you are still prepared to help rather than have a go at people wanting advice.....Hope you and the Mrs are well keep it up.

mayfair, thought you'd emigrated or summat. me & mrs doing fine. be even better with a bit of work coming in. it's pants at the mo.

Thanks nickblake, I was going to use the lever type as these are the ones I've 'played around' with. I will have a look at the other wago products. I think they're totally fantastic..

Thanks everyone for the help.

Reply to Help with Wago instead of ceiling rose method in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock