Discuss LED light - Circuit breaker in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Green83

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hoping to tap into the wealth of advice on here to help me solve my LED light issue.

Background:
Brought an expensive dimmerable LED light from a UK company in August – Light fitting made and shipped from Hong Kong.
Light was installed by replacing the old standard wiring with ease and worked, however tripped the circuit breaker in the consumer unit on occasion when switched on.
We came up with a system of switching on the new light before others on the ring that meant it wouldn’t trip.
Then one day it tripped again but would not reset.
With no lights and unable to reset, we called an electrician who found the fault to be the light fitting, informing me the ‘transformer’ too hot and should be returned.
The light was removed from the ring and made safe and circuit breaker replaced allowing other lights to be back in operation.

Current (no pun intended) situation:
The thought of returning the light fitting to the manufacture after 6 months of installation and no packaging is going to be difficult & potentially very expensive, if not impossible, although not attempted to do so yet.
Expensive not being used.

Way forward questions:
The light works, so is it normal for the transformer / driver to produce such heat (it does radiate quite a lot of heat)? Is it actually faulty?
After further research of similar problems online, many speak of the 'inrush current' being a cause for tripping circuit breakers in this situation and one solution is to change the circuit breaker to a type C instead of a routine type B? Would this be the way forward?

Link to light in question:

It could be inrush, it could be a faulty transformer or it could be total load on the lighting circuit (unlikely with LED but not impossible)

Changing to a C10 MCB may be an option but the circuit needs looking at to see if it is suitable.

An electrician will check the cable size, circuit, and max Zs to ensure the MCB will trip in the appropriate time.

Assuming the MCB is available for your consumer unit and the tests are good then its not a massive job.

How hot is too hot for a transformer is down to the manufacturer but they should have a high temp cut out.

It may be possible to fit a better quality after market transformer.

Nice light by the way, just wish they'd put as much effort into components as design.

It could be inrush, it could be a faulty transformer or it could be total load on the lighting circuit (unlikely with LED but not impossible)

Changing to a C10 MCB may be an option but the circuit needs looking at to see if it is suitable.

An electrician will check the cable size, circuit, and max Zs to ensure the MCB will trip in the appropriate time.

Assuming the MCB is available for your consumer unit and the tests are good then its not a massive job.

How hot is too hot for a transformer is down to the manufacturer but they should have a high temp cut out.

It may be possible to fit a better quality after market transformer.

Nice light by the way, just wish they'd put as much effort into components as design.
Thank you for your advice. I'm glad it seems i'm on the right track with finding a solution to this.

With regards the transformer temperature, it is a tough one to discuss as unless you feel the heat we are unable if it is normal or not. Interestingly aftermarket parts are available, a replacement transformer I have seen (same characteristics) for £70 (pics below). But not knowing how they're suppose to perform in terms of heat output, i'm struggling to justify the potentially unnecessary £70 outlay.

LED light - Circuit breaker 1613211503975 - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• LED light - Circuit breaker LED driver - EletriciansForums.net
    LED driver.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 13
I have a very similar fitting and have had no problems running it on a B6 breaker and the driver dissipates no heat as such. If your driver is getting so hot it may well be underrated and not fit for purpose. Being only six months old and having proof of purchase then I would be in contact with the supplier, the fact you don't have the original packaging should not be relevant. Did the electrician say what the fault was with it.

I have a very similar fitting and have had no problems running it on a B6 breaker and the driver dissipates no heat as such. If your driver is getting so hot it may well be underrated and not fit for purpose. Being only six months old and having proof of purchase then I would be in contact with the supplier, the fact you don't have the original packaging should not be relevant. Did the electrician say what the fault was with it.
Oh this is interesting... the electrician whilst disconnecting the fitting responded to the heat and said it was faulty. It is really interesting you have no issues on a B6 breaker - same as mine. Perhaps it is indeed the transformer then.

Think I need to contact the supplier.

The symbols on the driver indicate an operating max temperature of 100 degrees, and a case temperature of 80 degrees.
Hi, yes I saw this too and of course means i ought to expect heat as should the electrician, without being able to measure the temperature it is difficult to confirm whether it is at temp or above temp. It can be felt on the face whilst fitting the fixture. It seems it may be working as it should???

Take it back to supplier or at least contact them.

You may have bought it 6 months ago, but it has been difficult getting someone in to put it up during lockdown....

Take it back to supplier or at least contact them.

You may have bought it 6 months ago, but it has been difficult getting someone in to put it up during lockdown....
Thank you for your reply and advice, we have since contacted the supplier with an initial positive response of offering to send our a replacement driver/transformer (as that is what we said was at fault). This is very promising and much smoother than I'd thought.

Reply to LED light - Circuit breaker in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock