Discuss Lost trying to wire contactors and timers in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ive got a 20amp 2 pole proteus din rail contactor
Proteus - Products

and proteus 16amp 1 mod din rail timer....
Proteus - Products

Hoping to use for night day switching of a selection of flurorescent (7 x 70w )and downlights (12 x 50w)with a total load of about 6 amps/1482w.
Thing is not quite sure how to go about the wiring...

I was going to have a 6 amp mcb supply the timer and 10 supply the contactor and 10 amp supply the lighting...is this correct? Was advised to have each seperatly supplied....

But now i lost the plot a bit on how to wire as no good diagrams..NOt knowing what numbers do what ie where neutrals go and load side etc ....

i dont need any switches just to be switched by timer...

Also is it ok to have all mcbs on RCD?

Sorry its a bit of long winded one guys but been a while since had my head in this.....not good really....

many thanks

There are wiring diagrams on the links you posted, at the bottom on the dropdown box.
If you are using the timer to switch the contactor you only need 1 control supply(6A?).

i would bring your supply to the top of a 10 amp breaker and parallel it with the 6amp. from load side of 10 amp beaker to top of contactor. from load side of 6 amp to the top of the timer. from load side of the timer to A1 on contactor, neutral to A2. from load side of contactor to lights. cant see the need for another 10 amp breaker, the one described above is protecting the lights, if they are not connected no current is flowing in the contactor. also think a 6amp breaker is a bit big for a timer controlling a contactor coil.
does this help??

Sorted you a diagram out based on wiring diagrams from your links.

Timer--Contactor.jpg

Hope it makes sense :D

WOW what can i say to all you guys, i go to bed scratching my head i wake up to a multitude of great advice and JUD the diagram Is AWSOME mate...Exactly what i needed...got the pic clear again ...Thanks sooo much.....Some propa photoshop handy work......mate im guessing could be few people on you case for nice diagrams like that now !
Really guys this site been a right little life line for us...Top stuff

Was gonna try and explain it, but thought a picture might be easier :cool:

All wired up and just waiting for fittings to arrive....out of interest is it ok to have the control Mcb on a different RCD side of board as the Light 1 / light 2

I have had a guy come and do emergency lighting since i been away, now when i moved another lighting circuit in building over to the other RCD (dual board) to make room for the control, light 1/light 2 mcb's all next to each other, the RCD'S wouldnt switch on...only one at a time, soon as you put other on it tripped this is without any of the new stuff i put in even connected to neutral bar's or earth.....so im guessing where he put the em fittings in there a neutrals crossing over rcd's, not sure really.. was fine before....Anyway i put lighting circuit back to where it was and fine, just cant have all the new bits i putting in together in board.. hence the question....

sorry to goon on there....hope that makes sense.....

All wired up and just waiting for fittings to arrive....out of interest is it ok to have the control Mcb on a different RCD side of board as the Light 1 / light 2

I have had a guy come and do emergency lighting since i been away, now when i moved another lighting circuit in building over to the other RCD (dual board) to make room for the control, light 1/light 2 mcb's all next to each other, the RCD'S wouldnt switch on...only one at a time, soon as you put other on it tripped this is without any of the new stuff i put in even connected to neutral bar's or earth.....so im guessing where he put the em fittings in there a neutrals crossing over rcd's, not sure really.. was fine before....Anyway i put lighting circuit back to where it was and fine, just cant have all the new bits i putting in together in board.. hence the question....

sorry to goon on there....hope that makes sense.....

You could do that I suppose. Only thing is if the other RCD trips for any reason, your lighting circuits won't work as there will be no power to the timer and contactor.

When you moved the lighting circuit to the other RCD, did you swap the neutral over to the other neutral bar?

I would spend a bit of time in the CU and make sure everything is where it is supposed to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah made sure neutral was in other bar for sure that what was doing my head in.......Shared neutral somewhere maybe though?
yeah your right need to spend sometime at board......thanks jud for reply

Easier to work from drawings nice one Jud , cant say more than whats been said ,but would just like to add when calculating the wattage of flourescents if the fittings are switch start with the ballast you have a correction factor of 1.8 so the loading will be higher IE, 7 x 70 watt = 490 x 1.8 = 882 watts / 230 = 3.83 amps so add that to the down lighters = 600 watts / 230 = 2.6 amps + 3.83 amps = 6.43 amps so as has been mentioned you will require a 10 amp MCB or split over more than one circuit as the diagram says

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Lost trying to wire contactors and timers in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net