Discuss rules for in london in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tornadoarnold

hi everyone,

i am looking at doing a rewire for a friend of the family in wimbolden at easter time, and understand that local building control in the london area have certain rules which don't apply to the rest of the country.

things like you can't use brown blue(sleeved)+ cpc for the switches, it has to be twin brown +cpc.

any info on what the different rules are or where i can find them would be much appreciated

If you drop twin and earth to the light switch, put brown sleeving over the the blue insulation at both ends of the wire to indicate it is a switched live.

Someone's pulling your p^^^^^ wired 4 very large town houses and 14 flats in wimbledon as long as its all to BS 7671 - 08

known many different requirements for council owned houses to there spec but for private owned houses to bs7671 will be fine

Just out of curiosity why don't you use twin brown & earth for switch drops as standard on the mainland. In N.Ireland it is used as standard.

you never could use brown and blue sleeving for the switch wires as they are both live, either both red or both brown. I will only use blue if its a live to switch and the neutrals are in the old colours. Interestingly, my inspector didnt have an answer to weather or not i should sleeve the black in red, or brown, when working on a switch in old colours . It is far from a hanging offence andI sleeve both in brown, as we all work to the new colours .

sintra, you say the mainland demand twin brown and earth now for swtch drops, can you expand on this, I wish to be at the forfront as it were, and if this is coming "in " I will get some ordered. I will rder someanyway as its a better job. However, I feel our cal outs wil drop because the B & q ers will start to not mix their lighting wiresup so much tehe !!

Last edited by a moderator:
you never could use brown and blue sleeving for the switch wires as they are both live, either both red or both brown. I will only use blue if its a live to switch and the neutrals are in the old colours. Interestingly, my inspector didnt have an answer to weather or not i should sleeve the black in red, or brown, when working on a switch in old colours . It is far from a hanging offence andI sleeve both in brown, as we all work to the new colours .

sintra, you say the mainland demand twin brown and earth now for swtch drops, can you expand on this, I wish to be at the forfront as it were, and if this is coming "in " I will get some ordered. I will rder someanyway as its a better job. However, I feel our cal outs wil drop because the B & q ers will start to not mix their lighting wiresup so much tehe !!

No Jason what I asked is why twin brown & earth is NOT used as standard on the mainland. All I have ever seen used is Twin & earth with the neutral sleeved accordingly. Why not use the correct cable to start with.

mate yourspot on. this forum is all about continual improvemnent . I will order some tomorrow, my local c.e.f. have it in stock and from now on, thats what this this team will install. Superb stuff.

Reply to rules for in london in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net