Discuss Safe/prudent to replace AFCI breakers with CAFCI breakers? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rhythmdvl

DIY
Reaction score
I am going to be replacing two AFCI breakers after a lightning strike in a house built in 2003. I will be bringing the breakers with me to ensure I get the same brand and specs, but I’m wondering if it would be safe and prudent to replace them with CAFCI breakers (assuming I have a choice).

Further, since I’ll already be working on the panel, if the above is okay, would I be wise to just go ahead and replace the remaining, non-malfunctioning AFCI breaker with an CAFCI breaker?

What about regular breakers for circuits in the laundry room and kitchen? Those have GFCI receptacles on each circuit. I realize they are different forms of protection; I’m wondering whether it would be problematic to have both. The question arose because from what I understand, the updated code expanded CAFCI requirements to these areas. I figure since I’m opening and working on the panel already, an investment in three or four additional new breakers would be a sensible expense — but not if it’s going to cause trouble, of course.

For reference, I am in New York.

Thank you very much for any insight or advice.

Reply to Safe/prudent to replace AFCI breakers with CAFCI breakers? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Background Two weeks ago, lightning struck a tree in our yard. Many circuits tripped and several electronic devices failed. There was a strong...
Replies
Views
I need to replace two AFCI breakers on our main circuit panel. I have replaced and added breakers to our sub-panel several years ago. When I...
Replies
Views
Our family room is part of an addition built a few years ago. We had an issue with nuisance tripping on an AFCI and the electrician came and...
Replies
Views
My circuit panel has two banks of breakers, each bank protected by an RCD. One of these RCDs has been problematic in that it trips intermitantly...
Replies
Views
Summary (TL;DR) Several lightbulbs in my home supplied by one circuit breaker dim over time and go out in about a year. Right now, the ceiling...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock