Discuss So is anything actually wrong with this picture...? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dooby

fuse.jpg
This is a mate's 'fuse board' they asked me to come and look at. Now I fixed a couple of hall lights but anything involving anything on that board - WAY out my depth yet, wouldn't want to try a whole rewire anywhere myself, let alone on this.

It all seems functional - and I'm assuming most were put on according to regs at the time. There's been a few dodgy wiring practices I found in the lighting - but I don't even know what some of the things are doing on that board..

ok looks like 3 6 way 3036 boards wired from the Henley block suspect a main rcd switch so is it a TT system ? plus the recent edition of an RCD/mcb board on the left suggests that he has a had a shower put in recently as it has NICEIC stickers all over it so me thinks he got a showere/bathroom put in by a DIY shed 3-4 years ago. The other thing to highlight is the MEM switched isolator top right this has a micc or pyro cable and not sure what this is supplying.

So next question is what size of house does your mate have to have 18 circuit also how many are getting used ? I thought one would be off peak but they are useally a row of 16-20 amp fuses

Couple of minor points -
The 2 bakelite wylex boards are missing the Flash shields
The door bell wire is running with mains voltage cables
Some tails in the henley block have the sheath stripped back to far.
Some cables at the top are insecurely fixed
Fuse missing from top middle DB - maybe you were just working on it :)

None of these would amount to more then a C3 on an I&T IMO.

It's on a remarkable scale isn't it? It's quite a (to my mind) big mid terraced house in East London. 4 beds maybe, but nothing vast, no garage etc or anything. I figured they just kept adding and renewing without removing, but I'm hard pushed trying to work out which if any are completely dead/unused.

Thanks for breaking it down a bit guys, I shall take your answers and look closely! When I initially saw it I got The Fear, but you seem to be of the same opinion as me now that there's not TOO much wrong with it.

Look so so however whats on top of the fuseboard top right? is that a drain pipe and i hope its not connected to a waste somewhere haha

That IS a drain pipe and apparently it was connected to some bonkers vacuum device whereby there was a pipe to each room you plugged the hoover into and went into a waste thing in the basement there next to the fuseboard. They removed it.

I'm not sure I EVER wanna leave new builds :frown:

I reckon that could probably stand to be tidied up a bit and put on one new board.
Some of that wiring looks a bit old as well - I'd have a look at the condition of the terminations in the board, although try not to poke around too much in case it all falls to bits; presumably it's currently 'working fine'.

That IS a drain pipe and apparently it was connected to some bonkers vacuum device whereby there was a pipe to each room you plugged the hoover into and went into a waste thing in the basement there next to the fuseboard. They removed it. :frown:

And what was wrong with Kirby’s central vacuum system……………. other than they blocked up solid the first time they were ever used! Never to work again.

Nothing wrong with the Kirby system .... it had many a teenage lad locked in his bedroom for many an hour and his mum thought he was tidying his room ;)

Reply to So is anything actually wrong with this picture...? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net