Discuss Solar Project - awaiting permit (sorry - long post..) in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
New to the forum. Retired Navy Aviation Electrician with 25 additional years in automotive electrical systems - enough knowledge to be dangerous..

I've had a basic (very basic) understanding of solar for a few years having a simple 100 watt panel maintaining 6 old Trojan T105 batteries. Fast forward to today where I am putting together a 1200 watt "back-up" system for when a hurricane takes us temporally off grid - no intention of tie-in to the grid. Here's a basic list of components on-hand:
6 KOSTA 200-12 (see attached label for specs)
1 MPPT 60-amp Charge controller (12/24 volt)
1 50 amp sub-panel
1 "Rapid Shutdown" NO relay (12-volt continuous duty 500 amp+ sustainable)
1 AIMS 3K Pure-Sinewave Inverter (older unit I've had for years)
6 New Trojan T105 6 volt batteries wired in series-parallel resulting in 12 volts and a massive amount of AH.
Plus a myriad of small parts. The panels will be roof mounted using Super Strut racks and fastening hardware.
No doubt I've left out something I should have mentioned - I am providing some pictures to offer a visual.

I am generally pretty handy with mechanical and electrical but I absolutely suck at math and what I'm trying to figure out is what voltage/current I can expect coming down the "pipe". I find a lot of info on the net regarding pros & cons of series OR parallel configurations but very little on series-parallel setup. I think I want to go with the series-parallel configuration but don't know how to compute the results. You can offer me the formulas but I'm probably too dumb to figure it out.

Attachments

• Solar Box (prev traffic cont panel).jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 12
  • scc 1.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Solar Conduit.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 15
  • Solar Panels - KOSTA 200-12.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Solar Panel Label.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Trojan T105 6 volt batteries.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 13
New to the forum. Retired Navy Aviation Electrician with 25 additional years in automotive electrical systems - enough knowledge to be dangerous..

I've had a basic (very basic) understanding of solar for a few years having a simple 100 watt panel maintaining 6 old Trojan T105 batteries. Fast forward to today where I am putting together a 1200 watt "back-up" system for when a hurricane takes us temporally off grid - no intention of tie-in to the grid. Here's a basic list of components on-hand:
6 KOSTA 200-12 (see attached label for specs)
1 MPPT 60-amp Charge controller (12/24 volt)
1 50 amp sub-panel
1 "Rapid Shutdown" NO relay (12-volt continuous duty 500 amp+ sustainable)
1 AIMS 3K Pure-Sinewave Inverter (older unit I've had for years)
6 New Trojan T105 6 volt batteries wired in series-parallel resulting in 12 volts and a massive amount of AH.
Plus a myriad of small parts. The panels will be roof mounted using Super Strut racks and fastening hardware.
No doubt I've left out something I should have mentioned - I am providing some pictures to offer a visual.

I am generally pretty handy with mechanical and electrical but I absolutely suck at math and what I'm trying to figure out is what voltage/current I can expect coming down the "pipe". I find a lot of info on the net regarding pros & cons of series OR parallel configurations but very little on series-parallel setup. I think I want to go with the series-parallel configuration but don't know how to compute the results. You can offer me the formulas but I'm probably too dumb to figure it out.
That’s an awesome looking set up you have but at what voltage are you trying to achieve because 1200 watts at 120vac is 12 amps. Do not install series because if one panel goes down every panel down stream will not work. Go with parallel

Reply to Solar Project - awaiting permit (sorry - long post..) in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net