Discuss Some interesting stats I've just read. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electromonkey

I thought I'd share this with you guys and gals.

It's from ECA Today where a study was carried out in the UK (I don't know by who) in relation to electrical installations and electrical appliances in the home. It summarises that "People in the UK expose themselves and their families to potential fatal accidents in the home through simple electrical blunders, because of an alarming lack of knowledge about the real danger of electricity".

So here goes...........

In the past year almost 1 million people have repaired an appliance while it is still plugged in - despite the fact that this can result in fatal or serious injury.

12.2 million (yes twelve point two million) people knowingly use faulty plugs or sockets.

1.5 million ignored burning smells coming from an appliance or socket.

2 million people trailed cables near hot surfaces or cookers.

350,000 people are seriously injured each year through everyday use of electricity.

Of those people, at least 1 will die every week.

70% of the people surveyed, didn't know what an RCD was.

Only 49% of UK homes have adequate RCD protection.

The Electrical Safety Council is launching a free smartphone app to help combat this. I can't help think that that money could be better spent.

Thanks for reading.

Any thoughts?

Propaganda!! A perfect example of why you should never take notice of anything based on Statistic's...

This Crap is going to be used to promote whatever organisation produced it!!!

What I find worrying, is the statement: "Of those people, at least 1 will die every week."
Thats more in one year that the total number for the five years between April 1st 2001 and March 31st 2006.
When did Part P start?

Propaganda!! A perfect example of why you should never take notice of anything based on Statistic's...

This Crap is going to be used to promote whatever organisation produced it!!!

As I said E54, it's from ECA today. I'm fairly sure it's a magazine that goes out to those in the electrical industry, not Joe Public. I agree with you regarding "Lies, damn lies and statistics" but I don't think 1 person being killed a week or 350,000 injured from electricity is something that can be dismissed out of hand. If anything, those two stats in particular should be used more readily in promoting the dangers of electricity.

I d

The Government doesn't take home electrical safety seriously enough does it ?? Any idiot can buy whatever they want from across the counter - no regulation. In B&Q, they regularly do special deals on consumer units (Shopfloor Prices not Tradepoint). Upgrade your own consumer unit for only ÂŁ50 - easy peasy !!!!!

We need to get on the same footing as the Gas Safe Fitters. Buying their stuff across the counter is much more difficult - why??????

In summary - bring on the scare mongering if it means the 'weekend have a go heroes' get an electrician to do it instead.

I've just looked up some other stats regarding deaths from electrocution and as spinlondon pointed out, they do differ. The article I read does have a higher figure and like I said, I don't know where these figures came from.

If Mr DIY is working in his home and changes a light fitting, gets a belt and is thrown from his ladder and kills or injures himself how would those stats be recorded? I'd assume it would be classed as a fall from a ladder rather than electrically related.

As I said E54, it's from ECA today. I'm fairly sure it's a magazine that goes out to those in the electrical industry, not Joe Public. I agree with you regarding "Lies, damn lies and statistics" but I don't think 1 person being killed a week or 350,000 injured from electricity is something that can be dismissed out of hand. If anything, those two stats in particular should be used more readily in promoting the dangers of electricity.

I d

Not when they are based on someones imagination!! Think about it, look at these figures again, exactly how did they come up with 12 million for example, or any of the other blown up figures come to that?? These statistical so called studies are all based around fanciful manipulation of figures that actually mean ''Nothing''!!!

If Governments can manipulate figures and publish them as statistic's, do you honestly think that a profit based organisation won't or can't do the same??
That old saying, "Lies, damn lies and statistics" is true today as it was when it was written, maybe even more so today!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
12.2 Million people knowingly use Faulty plugs or sockets ? So they must have done a pretty huge survey. Wonder if anyone else knows about this survey or if it's just the ECA have done a small survey & then done a Statistical Projection based on the answers to come up with their figures Hmmm.

Reply to Some interesting stats I've just read. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net