Discuss The Ring is dead, long live the Radial!⚡ in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Or a red pudding?
Or a smoked sausage?
We have to cater to all tastes here!
all tasres maybe, but not the vegans. they originate from the planet Vega and are aliens beyond our comprehension.

You must be thinking of the Italians.

As the regulation restrict the amount of MCB's per RCD (eight) and the requirement to have separate radials for most white goods and other items the amount of RCD's soon mount up and lets face it we in the UK where very late in realising we should have two.

Last edited:
Wouldn't have made any difference anyway, the Gerries were behind them as well.....so much for the magnificent Maginot line.....we'll just go round it. :(
Maginot Line was a waste of time. they should have built it as a ring, not a radial.

Well at least there was a strong Resistance, must have been a circuit of some sort.
you need to speak to Rene about the resistance... listen carefully. I shall only say this once.

Are you mistaking multimeters for the Multi Function Testers (MFT's) we use for installation testing, we still use the standard multimeters but these are not capable of carrying out the tests needed to verify an installation

You've got a good point, can't do a megohm test with a multimeter.

To be more specific, as an electrician (installer), we're not required to do these loop tests, megohm tests on houses, last I knew anyway. I have been required to do these in factories for certain circuits as well as for feeders. On some jobs, ie: power plants, chip fab plants; we did have crews "commissioning" EVERY circuit, including feeders.

You've got a good point, can't do a megohm test with a multimeter.

To be more specific, as an electrician (installer), we're not required to do these loop tests, megohm tests on houses, last I knew anyway. I have been required to do these in factories for certain circuits as well as for feeders. On some jobs, ie: power plants, chip fab plants; we did have crews "commissioning" EVERY circuit, including feeders.
There is a very strong requirement here for dead testing before the circuit is energized, both for a full installation and for simply adding a new circuit to an existing system. That applies for domestic, commercial and industrial stuff.

Not just IR testing to see if the cable is OK, but also testing R1+R2 (live and earth resistances) both to verify socket & SP switch polarity, and also from the boards Ze (earth loop impedance) to check the circuit's Zs value is going to allow fast enough disconnection by the choice of fuse or MCB, etc.

Reply to The Ring is dead, long live the Radial!⚡ in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net