Discuss Wall sockets & Multi socket adapters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

G-STAR01

Good evening everyone,

I'm glad I found this forum as I have some questions and would appreciate any help.
My house has those old non-switched sockets. In my bedroom I have a single old non switched socket, I use a extention cable that has multiple sockets at the moment.

What I want to do is change the single non switched socket to something that looks better and has a switch to turn on/off.
I saw some single socket aswell as dual sockets. Like these single ones http://goo.gl/Ncb5t & http://goo.gl/nUKZP
So basically I should look for 13amp sockets that meet BS 1363 right? anything else I should look out for?

So to change the socket I would switch off the power to the whole house from the mains and the unscrew and disconnect the wires, then plug wires into new socket and screw it in. Then turn on power to the house and use a tester like this http://goo.gl/ryYoG
Anything wrong here? Any other precautions I can take?

Also i plan on using one of these Surge Protected Multi-Socket Adaptor http://goo.gl/otiFz
Things I will have plugged in and could possibly be using all at the same time.
1. Custom built pc (500w psu but can consume more as that's what it is capable of outputting to components)
2. Xbox 360 (jasper)
3. Acer 27" LCD/LED backlit monitor
4. Talktalk modem
5. will vary between occasional electric heater to mobile charger but will most likely be used for a TalkTalk fiber modem as fiber optic broadband will be reaching here soon.

Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks.

responses in read

Good evening everyone,

I'm glad I found this forum as I have some questions and would appreciate any help.
My house has those old non-switched sockets. In my bedroom I have a single old non switched socket, I use a extention cable that has multiple sockets at the moment.

What I want to do is change the single non switched socket to something that looks better and has a switch to turn on/off.
I saw some single socket aswell as dual sockets. Like these single ones VOLEX FLAT PLATE GOLD POLISHED BRASS 1 GANG SINGLE 13A WALL SWITCHED PLUG SOCKET 5010620057877 | eBay & Polished Brass Single 13A Switched Plug Socket Victorian Black Insert NL8100/1B | eBay
So basically I should look for 13amp sockets that meet BS 1363 right? anything else I should look out for?
All sockets for sale in the UK and fitted in the UK must be BS1363 compliant

So to change the socket I would switch off the power to the whole house from the mains and the unscrew and disconnect the wires, then plug wires into new socket and screw it in. Then turn on power to the house and use a tester like this SOCKET TESTER Electrical Mains Plug In Polarity Safety 4892494320889 | eBay
Anything wrong here? Any other precautions I can take?
If your not compertant get an electrician in - but yes you are right

Also i plan on using one of these Surge Protected Multi-Socket Adaptor http://goo.gl/otiFz
I dont like these as they tend to fall out of the sockets - use one on a lead - plus with all these plugged in it will add to the weight and you will keep having to push the plug back in - if you want buy one with a lead and screw it to the wall
Things I will have plugged in and could possibly be using all at the same time.
1. Custom built pc (500w psu but can consume more as that's what it is capable of outputting to components)
2. Xbox 360 (jasper)
3. Acer 27" LCD/LED backlit monitor
4. Talktalk modem
5. will vary between occasional electric heater to mobile charger but will most likely be used for a TalkTalk fiber modem as fiber optic broadband will be reaching here soon.

Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks.

That tester is a piece of crap mate that socket could be too. Be extremely wary of buying things like this on ebay as the gear supplied is often not compliant with UK regs and could be potentially dangerous. If you want extra sockets in your home you will be far better off employing the services of a local electrician because it's not just a case of switching the power off and whacking on a new face.
Don't bother with that thing off amazon either.
I appreciate you might be willing to have a go at this but it's not really something a DIYer should be doing. While it might be money you either may not have at present or had planned on spending electricians tend to be cheaper and less traumatic than funerals. That's not meant to sound like I'm having a go at you but would you be willing to install a new gas supply to your cooker or central heating boiler?

all i can add to nicholas's comments, is forget the flat plate sockets. you may find they won't fit the existing back boxes. 1 thing you could consider is called a converta socket. you can get a 2 way or 3 way that fits on a single back box, but as far as i know, they only come in plastic.

edit: having just seen trev's post, that is the best advice, get a sparks in to do it. not a great cost. nobody can stop you doing it yourself, but to test properly, you would need equipment costing several hundred ££££.

if you are going to get a sparks in, then he will probably install twin socket outlets, fitting additional back boxes and giving you as many outlets as required. best way.

Reply to Wall sockets & Multi socket adapters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock