Discuss Working out number of LED requirements in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, yet another question, sorry guys. Just wondered when you guys are installing recessed LED light fittings in a domestic property, how do you work out how many LEd fittings are required and also what is a typical LUX requirement for typical rooms ie lounge, dining rooms etc. Would LUX requirement be different for other rooms. I've been looking at a table provided by ENLIGHT. They give a guide by square meterage of room, but go on to say about LUX requirements.
In my day options were....40w, 60w, 100w....occasionally dizzy heights of 150w.....and a standard fluo in the kitchen!

PS got 2 x ground floor rooms x approx 7m X 5m

its all down to beam angles ,lumen outputs and colour temperature , as well as the room deco , i know it sounds daft but if you install daylight led in a lounge thats blue it will make the room feel cold , old halogens had a narrow beam angle 35 Degrees so you get a spot on the floor , so you go for a spot light with a wide beam angle , and depending on the decor or room you then select colour temperature so a led spot with a 2800k colour temp will give you a warm feel and 4700 will give you a colder feel so to the question how do you work out how many you need easiest way is on paper scale the room on paper and position the lights on a drawing using the beam angles draw them in so from a single point on the ceiling 35 deg 60 deg 120 degree's cross them approximately 1/2 the way down the beams

and hope that none end up directly on a joist. :90:

Ha on that note..........joist are the Z type which are hollow and 600mm apart, which you think will give some flexibility in siting light fittings. But
the plumber has first fixed and installed 100m dia waste pipes which at some points are near to the ceiling. Looking at some led fittings from memory they appear to be about 100m + deep. Is that about the norm for LEd lighting?

Ha on that note..........joist are the Z type which are hollow and 600mm apart, which you think will give some flexibility in siting light fittings. But
the plumber has first fixed and installed 100m dia waste pipes which at some points are near to the ceiling. Looking at some led fittings from memory they appear to be about 100m + deep. Is that about the norm for LEd lighting?

Yes, but most require "breathing space" above....

Is the ceiling fitted?

no ceiling not fitted..at first fix stage..new build, so open canvass as it were.

Well in that case its easy to miss the joists pad and measure the joist distances and light positions mark them on a paper then when all is plastered re measure from you drawings and cut the holes , no excuse to hit a joist it takes a little time but at least you;ll be in the right place

Well in that case its easy to miss the joists pad and measure the joist distances and light positions mark them on a paper then when all is plastered re measure from you drawings and cut the holes , no excuse to hit a joist it takes a little time but at least you;ll be in the right place

Or get back in after the boarding is put up, and before the plasterer, and then you can see where all the joists are by looking for the nails/screws!

Reply to Working out number of LED requirements in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net