Discuss Would a swimming pool and/or DIY work put off electricians? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rob6502

I have been getting rejections, from commercial websites for quotes, such as "...does not meet the regulations [(electrical)] for this category..."

I assume that it is because a part P professional won't touch a DIY installation? (circa 2004).

If so, then is it possible for me to force the DNO to replace e.g. the ELBC with an isolator? (because the tails from the 100A meter to the (circa 1955 ELCB) are only 16mm) - currently they refuse to do this, they said "it was on the domestic side".

Regulation surrounding swimming pool installs and the knowledge required to deal with the supply end are heavily regulated and must be done correctly for the safety of both property and yourself, this isn't an area for DIY and I would only recommend it as DIY if it is been fully overviewed from start to finish by a competent Electrician familiar with special location install, this is half the reason no-one will touch your job.

The tails after the meter are your property, although you cannot upgrade these yourself as you will need an electrician to ensure the system been connected to the new tails is safe and tested thus they will not be re-energising circuits that may have existing issues or faults and also the earthing arrangements of the property need checking confirming too.

This move to save a few quid can in the long run cost you dearly as you may have to pay the extortionate fee's from your local council and you will be questioned as to why you haven't already notified the work which without a competent registered person aboard could land you in a lot of trouble.

I see you have a City and Guilds 222 which is TV and electronics if I'm correct in thinking and I appreciate you are probably well versed in your own particular area but do you have knowledge of the BS7671 regarding this area?

Please correct me if I have got the wrong end of the stick here but this is how your post reads.

Last edited:
I have been getting rejections, from commercial websites for quotes, such as "...does not meet the regulations [(electrical)] for this category..."

I assume that it is because a part P professional won't touch a DIY installation? (circa 2004).

If so, then is it possible for me to force the DNO to replace e.g. the ELBC with an isolator? (because the tails from the 100A meter to the (circa 1955 ELCB) are only 16mm) - currently they refuse to do this, they said "it was on the domestic side".

What is the question/problem?

I am assuming he has a swimming pool ,requires work , but the installation is originally protected by a voltage operated ELCB, and commercial companies are asking for the installation to be upgrade before they will work on it.

Thank you Darkwood.

...will be questioned as to why you haven't already notified the work which without a competent registered person aboard could land you in a lot of trouble.

Suppose that a qualified/certified professional discovered a non-certified installation - and the owner pleaded ignorance, but the installation met the standards, would that professional be obliged by law to report the owner?

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don't understand the question. If the ELCB is your side of the meter then you need to pay a competent spark to sort it. Simples

I still don't understand the question. If the ELCB is your side of the meter then you need to pay a competent spark to sort it. Simples

Thank you, I get it :)

I think you just answered the question ("Would a swimming pool and/or DIY work put off electricians?") - i.e. any "competent spark [would] sort it" - and also, maybe, the sparky would not be bothered if it was not certified? He would do that also?

Thank you, I get it :)

I think you just answered the question ("Would a swimming pool and/or DIY work put off electricians?") - i.e. any "competent spark [would] sort it" - and also, maybe, the sparky would not be bothered if it was not certified? He would do that also?

An electrician/electrical firm will only issue a certificate for work done by themselves. If a certificate to prove electrical safety is required for any other purposes such as insurance stipulations or a house sale, the a periodic inspection can be carries out and a report produced as to the safety of the existing installation.

Reply to Would a swimming pool and/or DIY work put off electricians? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net