Discuss 5 core SWA 120mm pvc cable in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Definitly need rollers on this job.

Using even 200m of 4 core 120mm (can't find the weight for 5 core) cable will weigh just over 1480kg.

Not just damage caused by catching debris in the trench. At that weight, pulling with a tractor without rollers will likely stretch and damage the cable anyway.
End up being 95mm at the tractor end.
[automerge]1567677309[/automerge]
In all fairness to the OP if you have all the correct equipment let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Definitly need rollers on this job.

Using even 200m of 4 core 120mm (can't find the weight for 5 core) cable will weigh just over 1480kg.

Not just damage caused by catching debris in the trench. At that weight, pulling with a tractor without rollers will likely stretch and damage the cable anyway.
Thanks Rob- yes have got a roller organized

Rather than pull the cable from a stationary drum and pull it over numerous little rollers wouldn't it be better to move the cable drum along the trench and unwind the cable directly into it? No need for little rollers then..

Rather than pull the cable from a stationary drum and pull it over numerous little rollers wouldn't it be better to move the cable drum along the trench and unwind the cable directly into it? No need for little rollers then..

I'll let you try and control rolling something that with the drum included is probably more than 2 tons. I wouldn't want to.

I'll let you try and control rolling something that with the drum included is probably more than 2 tons. I wouldn't want to.

You would have to control the drum if you are pulling the cable from it..
I've seen big reels of cables on wheeled units. The OP says he is going to use a tractor. I don't see a problem, if using the right equipment.

He needs to decide what is happening with UKPN first before worrying about what size of cable to get.
But before that you need to know what size supply is actually required.
There's no point getting a bigger transformer installed if the current supply will do the job.

To get 100A over that distance I would hazard a guess at 2x 120mm in parallel, but that is just a guess.
Hi Dave did you get my message not sure I managed to send it successfully?

Yes I have got your message, I'll reply later whne ive got chance to read it properly.
Hi Dave , you interested in helping ? Keen to move forward. Many thanks Ian
[automerge]1567719741[/automerge]
Hi Dave - you interested then in quoting for this job ? - I notice your answering other threads tonight so can only assume that your not interested in actually quoting for this paid work? Kindest ian

Last edited:
What is in this domestic(?) property which requires a 3 phase supply and circa say(tbc) 50A per phase so 230 x 50 x 3 =35 kW? Or is it more than one home? - each with electric heating?
[automerge]1567753765[/automerge]
OP: Would it be practical for your client to have 'load shedding' to allow a lower capacity supply?

For example, there could be arranged 3 types of supply in the property:

a. Permanently on - say for lighting, refrigeration and gas boiler;

b. Timed (and maybe sequenced on) - say for white goods operated overnight and immersion heater (using off peak perhaps);

c. Sheddable - a supply which is only on if demand on other circuits is less than a certain number of kW - say immersion heater element on during the day.

You get the gist.

Last edited:
As above, what is the expected maximum demand for this kiosk?

Re the cable costs have you looked into doing it in multiple AWAs?
Also why the 5th core? Do you need to an earth conductor?

I can't imagine AWA being any cheaper than SWA as the conductors won't be any smaller, assuming you mean single core AWA?

We can only assume that the fifth core is for earthing purposes, however I wouldnt be too sure that using what will presumably be TNCS, as its a new connection, on its own over that distance is sensible. The possible difference between the TNCS earth and true earth after 250m could be a bit big.

Has the OP had a quote from the DNO for a new supply to the required location? I don’t see this has even been considered, but seeings as the cable and installation is going to cost a five figure sum, I’d certainly want to weigh this up against the simpler alternative which may or may not cost much more.

A few years back (2011), installed a 4c 240mm swa with a separate 240mm earth. We hung the reel from a 5 ton digger bucket and unreeled it that way. 105 metres. I think it cost about 8k.

Reply to 5 core SWA 120mm pvc cable in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net