Discuss Building Site 110v / 240v Testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

volta

After the the 4th Edition amendments, am I correct in thinking building site 110v kit are still PAT tested every 3 months and we therefore need to write a retest date on the sticker?
Can I also assume 240v site huts are 24 months, but the ‘duty holder’ decides on the safe retest date, so no retest date on sticker?

All site electrics are required to be tested every three months.
Rubbish this is a general guide and hi-lights items at more risk like bench tools, factory floor extensions ....i put 1yr on all mine. The key to this flexibility is reducing risk in the way the items with issues are identified and removed from use immediately i have the management get the staff to sign an extra clause regarding the portable equipment and before use everyday they are responsible to check for any issues or damage etc ...any found will have the items removed off the factory floor immediately. I come in and repair if possible and re-test and put back out on floor. This system gives a documented service and testing of the equipment and shows a routine inspection is carried out daily hence an extended testing period id employed.... this holds even more ground if you have a shop/factory floor charge hand responsible for ensuring any dangerous/damaged or questionable equipment is removed until checked and/or repaired and retested.

The risks of each kind of work-site and equipment needs assessing and if no extra measures are implemented then the guides should be used.

Rubbish this is a general guide and hi-lights items at more risk like bench tools, factory floor extensions ....i put 1yr on all mine. The key to this flexibility is reducing risk in the way the items with issues are identified and removed from use immediately i have the management get the staff to sign an extra clause regarding the portable equipment and before use everyday they are responsible to check for any issues or damage etc ...any found will have the items removed off the factory floor immediately. I come in and repair if possible and re-test and put back out on floor. This system gives a documented service and testing of the equipment and shows a routine inspection is carried out daily hence an extended testing period id employed.... this holds even more ground if you have a shop/factory floor charge hand responsible for ensuring any dangerous/damaged or questionable equipment is removed until checked and/or repaired and retested.

The risks of each kind of work-site and equipment needs assessing and if no extra measures are implemented then the guides should be used.

This does sound more logical and is the way I shall proceed from now on, although the new guides still say 3 months for tools. Thanks for this.

This does sound more logical and is the way I shall proceed from now on, although the new guides still say 3 months for tools. Thanks for this.

Ill re-check the new guides but you said it yourself 'guides' they are a guideline and if you put in another system of routine checking, signing tools in and out etc and put a degree of responsibility on the users and a foreman or charge-hand with an effective identifying and removal of damaged or faulty equipment then the test intervals can be extended.... although you have to make a judgement call as to whether such a system will work .... its easier to implement and control in a factory but like a building site it can become hard to set an effective system up hence the 3-months might be the option in that case.

Remember the environment and the hazards an item could pose are the key issues ..e.g. A portable appliance that is for outdoor use will have an IP rating to suit and this IP rating will need to be maintained for safe use, this item may require more frequent testing and inspection than say the same item that is only ever used indoors i.e a jetwash.... i have some that are housed in purpose built sheds and others that are carted around ....the ones subject to constant moving and dragging around will have a more frequent inspection schedule than the fixed position jetwash in the shed

There are no laws that say anything has to be PA-Tested and at what frequency although their are laws about ensuring electrical items are maintained and kept in a safe condition for use now how you go about that is your choice.... one effective method is PA-Testing which iis where this thread comes in... if an accident occurs and liable is formed having a full service and inspection history will hold good ground in a court of law ... turning around and say you have nothing to prove the equipment was checked could cost a company dearly.

Last edited:
Factors to consider when making the assessment include the following:

- type of equipment and whether it is hand-held or not;
- manufacturer’s recommendations;
- initial integrity and soundness of equipment;
- age of the equipment;
- working environment in which the equipment is used (eg wet or dusty) or likelihood of mechanical damage;
- frequency of use and the duty cycle of the equipment;
- foreseeable abuse of the equipment;
- effects of any modifications or repairs to the equipment;
- analysis of previous records of maintenance, including both formal inspection and combined inspection and testing.

The guidelines you follow take into account worse case scenarios as a safe all round inspection interval to save you applying the list above to every item and just making certain category of equipment follow a set inspection interval.

Just remember if an accident occurs and death or injury result just question yourself that any system you put in will rise to the scrutiny because extending guideline intervals will need to be justified in this case and like my method the system in place is stringent and will show a good level maintenance and inspection ...... sometimes accidents happen that just cant be foreseen but if you show you have reduced the risk then you and the company will be in the clear ...although if you have been found to have put in a poor system of inspection and testing then lets hope your PL insurance covers your ---.....

Reply to Building Site 110v / 240v Testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net